Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
stipple Quilting - Please Help >

stipple Quilting - Please Help

stipple Quilting - Please Help

Old 12-03-2008, 06:50 PM

I want to try stipple quilting, but can't seem to get the proper settings on my Singer 503A. Can anyone tell me what stitch length/width settings/foot/ throat plate settings I should use?
Old 12-03-2008, 06:58 PM

I would definately practice....but use the largest stitch...NO feed dogs...drop them....that's about it ....this is what I use to do when I did that stitch on my home machine.......put on some good music and.....Good luck and relax and enjoy!!
Old 12-03-2008, 07:13 PM

Practice, a little music...That's what I was thinking-a wonderful way to relax. I raised the throat plate, but after I removed the presser foot, the needle kept getting caught on the fabric. I'll keep practicing, but I'm pretty lost.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:18 PM

you need to make your practice piece like your quilt.....you know top , middle and bottom....then make sure you bring your bottom thread to the top....and the hard part is to move fast enough to stay consistant with your thread stitching....if you don't move fast enough it will just stich in one spot and cause ya trouble.....so good luck You may need to sdjust your tension too if I remember right...been a long time since I used the home machine for this.....
Old 12-03-2008, 07:20 PM

Thanks, I was working with a "quilt sandwich", but I didn't bring the bottom thread up. I will try that.

Thanks for helping. I'll keep you posted :-)
Old 12-03-2008, 07:21 PM

Are you using a darning foot? Be sure and drop the feed dogs or however you need to get them out of the way. The stitch length depends on how fast you are giong to move the fabric. I have some nubby, rubber tipped gloves and that helps a lot. Good luck.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:26 PM

I wasn't using the darning foot, but I will tomorrow. Thanks.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:01 AM

Ok. I used the darning foot and it works. I am working on getting the stitches evenly spaced.

Thanks for the help
Old 12-07-2008, 11:03 AM

I'm learning to free motion quilt on my vintage Bernina using muslin practice "sandwiches". Is the bed of your machine flush with the table? I had to pull my original sewing table with fold up extension table out of storage and wax the surface so it was slick. Reducing the drag on the quilt is essential. I'm getting much better at managing the stitch length and controlling the stitches since I did that. I've moved on to making patterns on my practice muslins.

I also discovered that I can see and move the fabric more easily when I turn the machine so that I face the sewing machine head. In this position, the quilt roll is behind my work area instead of to the side, and I pull the quilt forward towards my lap as I quilt.

Of course, this doesn't work with the configuration of the sewing table I have. So I have ordered a vintage Singer 15-91 and will build a custom table top so I can turn the machine sideways for quilting larger items.

Harriet Hargrave's book, "Heirloom Machine Quilting," has really helped me.

P.S. I have never had to change the upper tension on my Bernina, which always has perfectly balanced stitches. It was really hard for me to change the setting for free motion work! I used different colored threads so I could adjust the top tension until it was balanced. I did not have to touch the bobbin tension. The tension issue is another reason I have bought another machine, so I can keep it set up solely for free motion quilting, and keep my Bernina set up for piecing or garment sewing.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:58 AM

Elizajo, Love your idea to turn your machine so that you face the head and the roll is out of the way :D Bet that will help me also, thank you.