Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How Do I do A Pantograph? >

How Do I do A Pantograph?

How Do I do A Pantograph?

Old 12-04-2008, 07:57 AM

I would like to quilt a design onto a tabletop for Christmas present to Mom. I've only stitched in ditch or echoed. Do I have to have a stippling foot and free motion? Do I make a paper pattern and place it over my quilt? I am sure some of you pro's could probably do this with your eyes closed, so any advice or tips would be so appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time.

Eva
Old 12-04-2008, 08:32 AM

Others probably have a better method, but I use Glad Press and Seal. I stick it on the pattern, trace it, then pull it off and stick it on top of my quilt. After I've sewn through it, I pull the press and seal off. It doesn't leave any sticky residue. The only problem parts are places where lines have crossed or come really close to each other, then I have to use tweezers to pull out the little bits.

I use a darning foot with feed dogs down, medium speed on my machine and consentrate on moving the quilt smoothly at a constant speed. It takes practice, but you get the hang of it after awhile.
Old 12-04-2008, 01:34 PM

Ok, thank you so much Lori. This is totally new territory for me. I am sure I have a darning foot with my machine, and I am pretty sure the grocery store has Press and Seal. I never would have thought of it!

Thank you again.
Old 12-04-2008, 01:46 PM

Mrs.Mel Quilting gloves or garden gloves with the rubberized dots make the quilting moving smoother. At a quilting class I took we practiced with a sandwich doing circles so we could tell if the tension was adjusted right. Also make sure you are not moving your quilting too fast for what you are stitching. Take breaks and stretch every once in awhile so you don't tense up as you are stitching. Use a coordinating color in the bobbin so if your tension is off a little you will not see a white or colored bobbin thread on top or a top thread on the backing. Happpy stitching.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:58 PM

I would trace a design onto the fabric. You should practice a lot first with your feed dogs down and use a darning foot. Maybe you can find something you like here.

http://www.stensource.com/cat_result...0Line%20Blocks
Old 12-05-2008, 05:40 AM

Yes, I definately need to practice and I think I will pick up some quilting gloves DA. I never knew that these stencil websites existed Jackie, thanks for suggesting it. I would like to do some kind of a holly pattern; not sure if it will be too difficult for me. Only way is to jump in with both feet, right?

Thanks again ladies; I am so appreciative to hear from someone more experienced than I.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:54 AM

You can use chalk- white chalk for stencilling, comes off easily and doesn't leave a mark. Good luck. it is so much fun.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:00 PM
Power Poster

Just a little tip...if you do use the Glad Press & Seal...be very careful with the newer machines...it will void your warranty. I use it with my old singer and have had pretty good luck with it depending on the pattern.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by sandpat
Just a little tip...if you do use the Glad Press & Seal...be very careful with the newer machines...it will void your warranty. I use it with my old singer and have had pretty good luck with it depending on the pattern.
Yikes! I just bought a Husqvarna Platinum. Why does it affect the warranty sandpat?
Old 12-05-2008, 05:10 PM

Mrs. Mel

I can't wait to see the finished quilt.