Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Is there a difference in thread??????

You be the judge :D :( :shock: :-o :roll: :wink: :? :cry: :oops:

Found this article and thought it would be interesting to read since the question about thread has come up. :D

http://sewing.about.com/library/week...2100a.htm?nl=1

are you asking about a difference in thread quality or kind?? there is definitely a difference both ways. i took a "thread" class and couldn't believe what a difference using the right thread makes.
    differences include the kind of twist - which determines how you set it on the machine - horizontal or vertical. - also the material the thread is made of - cotton, synthetic, etc. I don't know this stuff by memory yet or could be more helpful but you could google thread and see if you get any help there.

I knew there was a reason my machine likes the Maderia Polyneon. :)

Blog Entries
    Interesting. The woman I bought my Quest from said cotton is too linty and suggested polyester. But, it's not available in big spools at Joannes. I usually get Coats... but there are some old spools that have lost their labels and some unravel at the needle. :?

Blog Entries
    Thats one of the first things my Bernina dealer told me when I bought my machine. USE ONLY GOOD QUALITY THREAD!!! I'm following that advice.

Blog Entries
    sandpat--was he specific? Did he mention cotton vs. polyester?

good question barnbum, I'm thinking the same thing myself....and I believe that the all purpose coats & clark is poly/cotton blend....I'm not in the sewing room, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

I learned on an old Kenmore and was told it was fine to use all purpose thread. I purchased some very nice polys for the embroidery machine and was given zero advice about the recent Kenmore DH purchased for me as a surprise. I have Gutterman because mom likes it best but on on these projects I'm giving away, I'd like to save a bit of money on thread so I can spend it on fabric/batting/tools.

I've had my current Kenmore for a couple years without maintenance (I know, I know) and haven't had any issues. The embroidery machine (Janome) is riddled with problems and constantly clogged up. I put in the closet because I just got so frustrated....I wonder if I've been using the correct thread all along. ???

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sandpat
    Thats one of the first things my Bernina dealer told me when I bought my machine. USE ONLY GOOD QUALITY THREAD!!! I'm following that advice.
    naturally the dealers say that. they want you to come back to them for expensive supplies to go with the expensive machines.

i have to give the cotton solids, on 1000 meter spools, from Threadart mixed reviews. The variegated cottons on 1000 meter spools have worked extremely well for me. i haven't tried their larger cones of anything yet, and am waiting for my first purchase of polyester embroidery thread to arrive, so can't comment on either of those. a friend of mine has been pleased by the cotton she got there on the cones.

the Coats & Clarke Dual Purpose has proven to be so-so for piecing, and awful for quilting.

this is what really cracks me up: so far, the most reliable thread i've used has been the polyester i get at WalMart for $1 per spool. it works great for piecing in all my machines.
    one thing is definite. prices does NOT guarantee quality. the egyptian cotton i have that sells for $9 per spool performs no better than the least expensive cotton i got from Threadart. neither does the fancy shmancy italien stuff i have that sells for just as much.

i need colors for quilting, though, so the search goes on for a consistently performing, reasonably priced brand of solid cottons.

My Janome hates Coats and Clark... all kinds.

Gutermann is a great thread for my baby.

I have used all kinds of thread in my Bernina - from cheap to expensive and all work fine. Now that I am making quilts though, I tend to stick to better thread, because that is what my "teacher" taught me.

Quote Originally Posted by retrogirl02
    good question barnbum, I'm thinking the same thing myself....and I believe that the all purpose coats & clark is poly/cotton blend....I'm not in the sewing room, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

I learned on an old Kenmore and was told it was fine to use all purpose thread. I purchased some very nice polys for the embroidery machine and was given zero advice about the recent Kenmore DH purchased for me as a surprise. I have Gutterman because mom likes it best but on on these projects I'm giving away, I'd like to save a bit of money on thread so I can spend it on fabric/batting/tools.

I've had my current Kenmore for a couple years without maintenance (I know, I know) and haven't had any issues. The embroidery machine (Janome) is riddled with problems and constantly clogged up. I put in the closet because I just got so frustrated....I wonder if I've been using the correct thread all along. ???
    check the kind of bobbin you are using. i finally discovered the bobbin was the thing messing up my babylock when i embroider. the requirements for bobbins on an embroidery machine are very specific apparently. use the one made for your machine and don't wind it on the bobbin winder gadget. wind it on your machine and see if it makes a difference. if you use prewounds you may have to search for the one that works best on Janome. i can't believe how much difference it can make. also check the subject on quilting forum under bobbins. i believe there is a discussion there. seems to me i just saw it a couple days ago.

barnbum, How do you like your Quest machine? I am looking at one, thinking I might like it. What are the pro and cons of it? Thanks, Mary

Blog Entries
    In response to your putting your Janome machine away, YES IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE WHAT THREAD YOU USE. Janome emb. machines love rayon....GOOD quality rayon thread; e.g. Madeira. You must also cut the beginning thread after three stitches to alleviate the "nest" of thread on the bottom. In addition, please use a very good bobbin thread; e.g., 60wt. as it is thin and very durable. You will get more thread on your bobbin this way. Ususally, it is operator error, not machine error that gets us in trouble....I learned the hard way. NO CHEAP THREAD!!! Especially thread from India. Polyester thread in a quilt will, over time, cut through the fabric and ruin your quilt. Please use 100% Egyptian cotton thread when quilting. It will cost you a few cents more, but give you better results. The higher the number of the thread, the better your points will be due to the fact that the thread is not taking up all the room at the point. I had to learn that the hard way too. Good luck! GiGi

Blog Entries
    My Janome's do to; hate Coats and Clark, LOVE Gutterman. GiGi

Blog Entries
    i have to repeat my cautions:

1 - expensive does not guarantee quality.
    2 - "egyptian" in the name or description does not guarantee quality.

3 - threads that work well for some people on some machines may not give the same results to somebody else on a different machine. you may even find differences between machine models from the same manufacturers.

4 - buy only one or two of each new brand you try, and then write down the results. that way, you'll learn which to buy in future and which to avoid. experiment, starting with the less expensive brands, working your way up the price scale until you find one you and your machine like.

Ditto on the Coats and Clark all purpose thread for my Janome. I tried machine quilting with it and OH...MY....GOSH!!! Thread kept shredding and then breaking every 6-10". Can you say "GRRRRRR"! LOL! But it hums right along with some 100% Egyptian cotton Red Star thread from my LQS (also made by Coats and Clark, strangely) that's a bit cheaper than the Gutterman and others. Thank goodness. I was about ready to give up!

Blog Entries
    mary--I never saw your question about the Quest! Sorry!

So far--it's a learning thing. I've over oiled it--good lesson on what NOT to do. I have machine quilted with it--awesome. Now and then it gets noisy--so I'm trying to work out different threads to see what it likes. :roll: I don't like change--so it's hard for me to adjust. :wink: I just want to sew--I don't want to read the manual to figure things out. But I am. :D

I really liked Jamones when I test drove one--but one of my top wants was a larger thraot area--and the Quest gave me that at the best price. The seller is awesome--but they are an hour away, darn it.