Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
WASHING BEFORE GIFTING >

WASHING BEFORE GIFTING

WASHING BEFORE GIFTING

Old 07-30-2011, 05:39 AM

I wash all the quilts I make for give away or missionary quilts and I wash all family quilts. If I don't want the old-timey look, I choose a different batting and always preshrink.

And I prewash fabrics because some run no matter what you soak them in first.

But, for custom quilts, I do not wash (I don't use starch in piecing). I do clean up though with a lint roller, etc. and I always give washing instructions. And, I always ask if they want me to wash it first. Most do not. They are paying for a new quilt and want it to look that way.

So...different strokes for different folks. Do what works best for you.
Old 07-30-2011, 05:53 AM

I love the soft cuddley feel and the smell of Downey after they are washed! I learned this from QFK!
Old 07-30-2011, 05:58 AM

Just yesterday I was wondering the same thing Vicky. Glad you posted this message.
My goodness you are a prolific quilt gifter and generous donater! I'm very impressed!
My current quilt is in the quilting stage and is a bit stiff from starch and spray adhesive. The new owner is planning to use it as a wall hanging. So isn't it better NOT wash it before giving, since all that stiffness will help it hang neatly?
Old 07-30-2011, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Zhillslady
I will say I had a crazy curves one I dreaded washing cause sewing all those curves was hard for me. I wanted it to look new as long as possible. The one day I forgot to put back in sewing room where cat is not allowed and she laid on it so I washed it. I really liked the look washed. However since then Itty Bitty has claimed it as her own. She's my 18 year old munchkin cat. She gets what she wants. As you csn see in picture #2 if you try and take her quilt she gets in your face all mad.
Love that 2nd kitty picture!! You can just tell she's telling you off with her eyes! :-P
Old 07-30-2011, 07:07 AM

I always wash and put washing instructions on the lable.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:08 AM

I never thought about washing before gifting. I washed baby quilts to get out anything that may irritate baby skin. The last quilt I gifted went to SisIL. I washed it to get out the pencil markings. After drying I ironed it and it came out beautifully. I think I'll try this in the future.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:21 AM

I always wash before gifting. I don't want them to think that they have ruined their quilt by washing it since it does look different after washing. I love the washed look.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:15 AM
Power Poster

I don't prewash the quilts before giving them away, but I always prewash the fabric that go into the quilt. I feel it's better that way, but I guess it's personal preference.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:28 AM
Power Poster

I have washed quilts and I just block then to dry and they come out nice and flat. I wash gently (fill the machine with water and colour catchers) hand agitate (so I can keep an eye on everything) spin and remove. If everything looks good, I pop it in the dryer for a little while and take it out when still damp. I take it into the spare room and block it on the carpet nice and flat. I close the door and mention for no one to go in until the quilt is dry. (usually overnight)
Old 07-30-2011, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
washing your quilt does not make it (used) it makes it finished.
i am so ... stern? about this mainly because of a situation that happened between 2 of my very good friends- a mother-in law- & daugter in law-

the mil gave said dil a beautiful quilt for christmas one year--
the dil loved it with all her heart and showed it off-boasted about it to everyone---then the day came it needed to be laundered- she even called mil to ask how to go about it- the reply was- i made it to be used- put it in the washer-cool water/detergent- toss it in the dryer- it will be fine-
dil did just that- even used a gentle cycle- mil did not stipulate.
when the quilt came out of the dryer a whole large section had come undone- it was unsightly-frayed- a mess...she called me just sobbing- i went over & looked at it- it looked as if during construction a whole seam was missed...i told her she needed to call mil & tell her what happened- it could be fixed-
OH NO--she was afraid mil would hate her for ruining the quilt---instead she chose to just hide it away-
after that for months-everytime mil visited she would leave---angry (thinking dil just gave it away or something) neither would speak to each other about it---it caused 2 whole years of strife between them---i finally could not take being in the middle any more---and told mil what happened-

she felt so bad for all the HORRIBLE things she had been thinking -and saying about dil for 2 years---
she went to her very (humbled) apologized- retrieved the
quilt- repaired it and it is now proudly used again---but 2 years of horrible hurt feelings for something that would have been avoided if she had just washed it first...
and where was son during all this? deployed...more stress- since mil was so...nasty toward dil when she was needed most. and what took me so long? i tried to be supportive to both without overstepping ... we all learned some lessons.
but now- unless it's a wall hanging not meant to ever be washed- it does not go anywhere until i've washed?dried it first!
Good story.