Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand quilting: achieving high stitch-per-inch count >

Hand quilting: achieving high stitch-per-inch count

Hand quilting: achieving high stitch-per-inch count

Old 08-22-2011, 06:39 AM

[quote=Hinterland I think it's great that there are so many handquilters, and I wish more of us would enter our quilts in shows.

Janet[/quote]

I don't have any show-worthy quilts yet but I hope to someday! :)
Old 08-22-2011, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Kristin in ME
Originally Posted by weezie
I have lots of hoops & a lovely pair of quilt frame ends and poles for them that are all going unused because I've learned I can only hand quilt with ease & accuracy using nothing but thimble, short, sharp needles, thread, the quilt (pin basted) and me.
What is a stop?
?????? Excuse me????
Old 08-22-2011, 06:53 AM

I have lots of hoops & a lovely pair of quilt frame ends and poles for them that are all going unused because I've learned I can only hand quilt with ease & accuracy using nothing but thimble, short, sharp needles, thread, the quilt (pin basted) and me.
What is a stop?
?????? Excuse me????
Oh, goodness, apparantly I misread that! I read it as "nothing but thimble, stop, sharp needles..." lol I was thinking there was some handy little tool that I'd never heard of before! :roll:
Old 08-22-2011, 06:59 AM

I have found that some white-on-white fabrics are VERY hard to quilt through.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:00 AM

A couple of more things that I couldn't find mentioned... (1) Easier to hand quilt if you have washed your fabric prior to piecing (or marking for a whole cloth) to get the sizing out, and (2) Try to NOT use a tone-on-tone that has the light tone "painted" on. (Look at your tone-on-tone fabric from the side and see if there is a tiny shine to the lighter tone or if it has a just barely raised feel to it)

Fairy Frost(while lovely) when used as a backing is a real challenge to hand quilt through. Sloooooow going and my shoulders/arms get sore faster. Unfortunately I used Fairy Frost on the back of a queen size quilt that I made for my daughter about 5-6 yrs ago. It also didn't help that I used Warm & Natural for the batting. That compounded the situation, but I only have 3 sides to one border to do, and the whole of the outside border to do and then the binding to finish. Whew! I also like using wool batting when hand quilting - haven't tried the silk.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:07 AM

What is a stop?
?????? Excuse me????
Oh, goodness, apparantly I misread that! I read it as "nothing but thimble, stop, sharp needles..." lol I was thinking there was some handy little tool that I'd never heard of before! :roll:
Ahh, I see. I had one comma too many ... should have omitted that comma between short & sharp.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by DJ
Thanks for the question, Jillaine! And thanks to those who have replied! The answers are very helpful.
I agree..great question and answers are awesome.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:22 AM

Ahh, I see. I had one comma too many ... should have omitted that comma between short & sharp.
No, I think you were fine, I just read through too quickly. :)
Old 08-22-2011, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Mitch's mom
Can wool batting be used for hand quilting? I don't like the feel of polyester. I can't stand to touch the poly fibers - it makes for interesting times around here when the dogs kill a stuffed animal.

If wool can be used I would really like to learn to hand quilt. Are there cotton batts that can be used?
wool hand quilts beautifully
Old 08-22-2011, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by sewcrafty
The one thing I haven't seen mentioned is Tiger Tape. When I started out handquilting I purchased the 9 per inch and played with that. I would make a sandwich and lay the tape down and practice going up and down with the markings. You sort of start feeling the rythym of the rocking motion of the stitch. Then its practice, practice, practice.

I agree that poly is easier to needle, but I do needle W&N and my stitches aren't as small. Also, as already stated, you need to make sure that the quilt in the hoop is loose or you'll really have a devil of a time. I use my fist to gauge the looseness.

What is Aunt Becky?
Since you're just starting off really, why not train yourself with the Aunt Becky? I'm thinking of trying to convert myself over this as my carpal tunnel hasn't been too good for hand quilting lately and there's much less movement of the right hand.

Good Luck!