Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Not expecting flowers, but, warning to all >

Not expecting flowers, but, warning to all

Not expecting flowers, but, warning to all

Old 08-25-2011, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by crochetetc
Here not to far away, guys have been knocking on doors and when no one answers kicking them in and robbing the house. Since I wont open the door hubby has made it clear the 9mm sits on my desk and the dogs are always with me.

Between the 150 lb great dane and the gun they wont stand a chance getting in.
Make sure you shoot the violent home invaders inside to the point where they fall inside. Don't shoot people in the doorway. Legal troubles. I'm sure you know this but it's good to keep it in your thoughts. Hope no ever tries anything. Hope your dog is loud. That's a nice deterrent.

It used to be said that flags were deterrents. Lowly drug addicts assumed the home had gun owners who could aim. I don't think the average addict who breaks into empty homes has a thought process anything like that! If anyone was thinking along those lines, then maybe the invasion robbers might think, "Ooh, goodie! Guns!" They're not that smart either. Usually they're after a money deal gone wrong. So, don't deal with drug dealers. Cuts down on the home invasion risk (unless they hit the wrong house - addresses are so hard to understand).

I am expecting flowers! From my deployed soldier. Thanks for the reminder. I live in a neighborhood of WWII vets and college renters. We have a constant influx of con artists, drug addict break ins and occasional home invasion robberies which turn out to be college drug money disputes.

I had a guy come to my door yesterday selling something. I have a no sales sign. Instead of saying hello to me, he said, "I'm not a bad man. Don't shoot!" Is that supposed to be funny and why would you think I would give you money when you make violence jokes and I have a sign essentially telling you to stick it in your ear? If he was scouting for future break ins, way to make yourself memorable, Einstein.

Oh, by the way, this is a "good" neighborhood. We had a registered sex offender once. That was exciting. A rapist. Cops went to his house a lot. I have no idea why. Check the offender info online, folks.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:42 PM

i like the wasp can idea.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:52 PM

We installed an all glass safety door on the front. Those gorgeous wood and glass front doors are nice but nothing between you and "them" when you open door. You can still see my pretty door through the glass but I feel better.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by crochetetc
Here not to far away, guys have been knocking on doors and when no one answers kicking them in and robbing the house. Since I wont open the door hubby has made it clear the 9mm sits on my desk and the dogs are always with me.

Between the 150 lb great dane and the gun they wont stand a chance getting in.
Isn't it sad that we have to live like we are under siege? I have 4 dogs along with my weapons all in easy reach. We have Castle Doctrine here; I don't have to wait for the bad guys to get inside my house. I hope I never have to use deadly force against a person, however, I am prepared to do it to protect my family and myself. No person, male, female, young, old, or infirm should ever fear being alone in their own home.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:16 PM

I use to own a Flower Shop and this also happened here. Ours always happened at Holiday time. Flower deliveries go way up during Holidays so this was when our town was hit the hardest.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:28 PM
Power Poster

My security full glass outside door stays locked 24/7. I can see and talk to anyone on the outside from inside. Every front door needs at least two peephole viewers. One low enough for the shortest person and one high enough for the tallest person.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:43 PM

A few weeks ago our friend was opening her garage door and a thief was preparing to exit in her husbands work van all loaded up with their stuff! He got scared and ran back into the house and out the back door that he came in. The second burglarly for them in 2 months. They finally have gates installed and an alarm. (and cameras) Can't be too safe.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:46 PM
Google Goddess

I don't answer the door unless I know who it is (I have a peep hole on front door and can also look thru the craft window to see who it is)
Old 08-25-2011, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
My security full glass outside door stays locked 24/7. I can see and talk to anyone on the outside from inside. Every front door needs at least two peephole viewers. One low enough for the shortest person and one high enough for the tallest person.
And even if you live alone, put that second peephole in the door anyway. It's a relatively cheap way to imply to someone that there may be two people inside.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:02 AM

My husband and I joke that I should make the following into a sign for the front door as well as a T-shirt: "I am perimenopausal, legally blind and have a 12 gauge. Any questions?"

Tastefully, of course. Maybe wood burned calligraphy and decorated with silk flowers. And a grapevine wreath. Wouldn't want anyone thinking that we're hicks or anything just because we live way out in the country.

WWMSD? (What would Martha Stewart do?)