Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
my youngest granddaughter- always avoiding problems :) >

my youngest granddaughter- always avoiding problems :)

my youngest granddaughter- always avoiding problems :)

Old 08-28-2011, 09:48 AM
Power Poster

we took our granddaughters to play a game of minature golf before we went to the fair friday- while playing golf my youngest granddaugter announced...
"I'm going to just dye my hair gray when i turn 30- and avoid the crisis"

:-D

think maybe my daughter didn't take finding a gray hair well?

I have snow white hair- which started turning when i was 20---it bugged my daughter so much she bought me my first dye kit for my 21st b'day---i dyed it for years- but about 5 years ago decided it was just too hard to keep up with-so i let it go---
we had a good laugh about granddaughter's comment-
she is always thinking of ways to (avoid crisis) :thumbup:
Old 08-28-2011, 09:58 AM

I too have early gray hair. It will be white soon but for now it is a soft silver gray with white overtones. Since I've been that way for about 30 years my mom can't stand it. She is 82 and has always dyed her hair. My MIL is 88 and she is just now turning gray. (http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-147878-1.htm) My 4 sisters are all dying their hair so I'm the lone gray person in the family.:)
Old 08-28-2011, 10:08 AM

I have the opposite... I have dyed my hair for many, many years but all my older sisters have let theirs go - which to me makes them look even older than they really are. Any way, one year at a family reunion, my oldest sister asked me when I was going to stop dying my hair... my reply "uhh, NEVER"!
Old 08-28-2011, 10:31 AM

I gave it up. Really dont care what others think. I dont have time to mess with it, AND I like my silver hair. What I dont like are grey roots, and I always had them! So I quit worrying about it, the only one that has voiced his dislike is dh. he keeps his hair buzzed. Told him id dye my hair if he let his grow out some. End of discussion. The way I figure it, I earned every gray hair on my head, why hide it? LOL
Old 08-28-2011, 10:48 AM

I am almost 57 and I have only a few gray hairs, mostly at my temples. Since I have a rather mousey brown hair, they aren't very obvious. My sister, a year younger and with much darker hair (almost black), started getting gray hairs in her mid twenties It's easy for me to say I won't dye my hair but a lot harder for her to say it when she was 50% gray by 30! She is still dying her hair, but I do think she should use a lighter shade - she still uses the same very dark color she had in her 20s. Oh well, it's her hair and not mine - I'm far too lazy!

Pam
Old 08-28-2011, 10:56 AM

My hair started turning silver when I was in my twenties. It is genetic. I liked my mothers silver hair and knew I'd never keep my fast growing roots colored so I let it go ala natural. Funny thing is that I get more compliments now than I ever did when it was reddish brown. I'm 61 and several people have said they didn't believe I am that old.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:57 AM

I started turning gray at 40 and it became salt and pepper for years. Finally getting more gray (at 65). My husband says he doesn't want me to color it, my friends all say its a lovely shade and to top it off I don't want to be one of those old women who's hair is the wrong color for their complexion. People just don't realize that your skin tone changes as well as your hair. I used to be very dark and tanned and now I have very little color in my face. If I dyed my hair dark brown (which it used to be) I would look like death warmed over.
Believe me, I have seen some pretty awful looking women who dye their hair - they are seeing themselves as they used to be when they look in the mirror - not as they really look to the rest of the world! Besides who really wants to go out in public knowing that people are saying "she dyes her hair and looks terrible".
That's my 2 cents worth!! Carol
Old 08-28-2011, 11:02 AM

I take after my Mom's side of the family, white hair. I'm nearly 50 and I've got them mixed in here and there. I died my hair twice in my life. Both times it came out bright orange! No more Great Pumpkin for me!!
Old 08-28-2011, 12:06 PM

I use to bleach mine 2yrs ago I quit with the gray it looks like a dark ash now
Old 08-28-2011, 12:19 PM

I've actually thought about what I'll do or not do when my hair starts to turn, and I decided that when I started noticing the gray I would dye my hair- completely silver!

I think that sleek gray/silver hair looks quite elegant especially if it's styled nicely.