Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What I did this weekend - a comparison of productivity (or lack of) >

What I did this weekend - a comparison of productivity (or lack of)

What I did this weekend - a comparison of productivity (or lack of)

Old 09-06-2011, 01:39 PM

I am known by my friends as "Speed Quilter". I work very fast, and sometimes I get things done much faster than I would even guess. But everyone has their own speed. I hand sewed the binding on a 99x105 quilt in about 5 hours. That's over 400" of binding, stitches about 1/8" apart. I have a system.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:53 PM
Power Poster

Wish I'd have gotten more sewing done over the weekend. Family is good at distractions! But I am tackling some UFO's and getting some LA-ing done! :)
Old 09-06-2011, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper
I think I have self diagnosed ADD when it comes to quilting. I get so easily distracted. Get the fabric out, take a break. Iron, take a break, fold to cut, take a break. I don't get much done, but, that's the way it is.
Me too! Me too! Imagine how little we would get done if we worked together! :!:
Old 09-06-2011, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by sewmary
I think I have self diagnosed ADD when it comes to quilting. I get so easily distracted. Get the fabric out, take a break. Iron, take a break, fold to cut, take a break. I don't get much done, but, that's the way it is.
Make that three! :roll:
Old 09-06-2011, 02:05 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Barb44
Originally Posted by sewmary
Make that three! :roll:
Wow! We would be three times nonproductive. Now I am distracted by words with friends and hanging with friends.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:05 PM

The only thing quilting related I got done was to finish 2 name badges for the quilt guild I just joined. On the other hand I spent 1 day with my DDIL's and 3 DGD's (ages 6 and 4) starting to make a Fairy House. I can quilt when these girls are teens and don't want to spend time at Nana's. Gotta make memories and enjoy them while I can.

Diannia
Old 09-06-2011, 02:58 PM

I suspect the majority of people on these boards are similar to you. Some are super achievers, perhaps have neat sewing rooms where they can leave everything out. I am constantly putting things away in other rooms. Then I have to drag it back out. I spend most of my quilting time getting out or putting away my machines, and tools, etc. So you are not alone, plus I don't seem to get any quilting done in the summer/warm weather. Add in husbands, children, ageing parents and poor health-so I estimate I finish one large (queen or king) size quilt a year, plus odd donation sewing, kids quilts and wallhangings. Some people are able to sew from morning till late at night-they get quilts made quickly. Don't worry if you don't get alot done-there are lots of us who are the same way.
Just enjoy doing what you can and don't compare yourself to anyone else. This is supposed to be fun!!!

Kat
Old 09-06-2011, 04:46 PM
Power Poster

I'm a ditherer. I stare and stare at the fabric and pattern before I cut it. then I make several blocks, one ata time, to see what the most efficient way for me to put them together. Usually after this I get pretty productive, but it takes me a while to get to that point. I'm also very careful about my seam allowance and which way to press. I like a really flat quilt top!
Old 09-06-2011, 04:49 PM

"I am what I am and that's all that I am" ---and that is fast enough for me ... If it's good enough for Popeye it's good enough for me!
Old 09-06-2011, 04:50 PM
Power Poster

I'm a ditherer. I stare and stare at the fabric and pattern before I cut it. then I make several blocks, one ata time, to see what the most efficient way for me to put them together. Usually after this I get pretty productive, but it takes me a while to get to that point. I'm also very careful about my seam allowance and which way to press so I sew and iron slowly. I like a really flat quilt top!
looks like I'm getting about 1 throw size top pieced a month.