Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thinking of buying a new Vintage Machine >

Thinking of buying a new Vintage Machine

Thinking of buying a new Vintage Machine

Old 09-08-2011, 06:43 AM

I went to a store up north in Mich and found an old machine they are selling for $35. I contacted Singer and they said it's a Model 27, made in 1900. It comes with a carrying case, it's really heavy, has no accessories, needs work, cleaning, some of the decal is worn off, the light and motor runs but the wheel doesn't turn freely and the needle doesn't move. I contacted my local sewing repair and they want $60 to look at it and clean & oil plus $$$ for any parts.

My question is how much would you pay for repairs for a machine like that? Has anyone heard of a Model 27?

Or should I just put my money into a featherweight, which is what I really want, or get this one repaired. And what featherweights are good models... 221, 221A, 223 or others? And how much would you pay for one?

Thanks for your imput, can't wait to hear your suggestions.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:55 AM

Would probably be easy to repair yourself (probably just needs a little grease). I'd buy it and then also buy a featherweight when I found a price I like.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:59 AM
Power Poster

Old Singers are really easy to work on yourself. Our virtual machine shop has a great tutorial that Billy did.
Featherweights vary in price, usually from 200-300, although people have been lucky and gotten them for less.
The 221 is in this price range, the 222 is a lot more costly, has the detachable piece, and I never heard of a 223.
Check Ebay for going rates.
Good luck!
Old 09-08-2011, 07:00 AM

Oh, I would definitely buy it. There is a lot of info on this board about cleaning and oiling a vintage sewing machine. The machine likely needs some good cleaning and an oil bath.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:51 AM

Buy it and do it yourself...very easy....

Ditto on featherweights...pricey just ck out what they are going for on ebay...
Old 09-08-2011, 07:55 AM

Cleaning it yourself is no problem, but I'd check the electrics carefully on a machine that age. I just purchased a Universal from the 50s and some of the wiring underneath is very brittle. $35 is about right for a machine in this area without a cabinet, but the price on vintage machines is, "What is it worth to you?" If it's a 27, does it have the Sphinx decals. They are so pretty. The vintage metal machines are worth purchasing. FWs are as cute as can be, but I like my homely 301 for sewing.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:14 AM

I have a model 27 Singer with sphinx decals - it is a treadle, made in 1902. It has the bullet shuttle, which makes finding bobbins a little more difficult, but they can be found. $35 is a good price for that machine, and you can probably get it running on your own. It could also be converted to treadle, if you were so inclined, which would eliminate the worry over the electrics.

I really like mine, and although it is in good working order, it doesn't get used much because it is in an inconvenient spot.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by jlm5419
I have a model 27 Singer with sphinx decals - it is a treadle, made in 1902. It has the bullet shuttle, which makes finding bobbins a little more difficult, but they can be found. $35 is a good price for that machine, and you can probably get it running on your own. It could also be converted to treadle, if you were so inclined, which would eliminate the worry over the electrics.

I really like mine, and although it is in good working order, it doesn't get used much because it is in an inconvenient spot.
Just a note: the long bobbins needed for the shuttle are available at Hancock's.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Joselake
I went to a store up north in Mich and found an old machine they are selling for $35. I contacted Singer and they said it's a Model 27, made in 1900. It comes with a carrying case, it's really heavy, has no accessories, needs work, cleaning, some of the decal is worn off, the light and motor runs but the wheel doesn't turn freely and the needle doesn't move. I contacted my local sewing repair and they want $60 to look at it and clean & oil plus $$$ for any parts.

My question is how much would you pay for repairs for a machine like that? Has anyone heard of a Model 27?

Or should I just put my money into a featherweight, which is what I really want, or get this one repaired. And what featherweights are good models... 221, 221A, 223 or others? And how much would you pay for one?

Thanks for your imput, can't wait to hear your suggestions.

for $35 it could just be something cute for your home!
Old 09-08-2011, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by myreda

Just a note: the long bobbins needed for the shuttle are available at Hancock's.
Good to know. Thank you!