Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Rescued Quilt for $1 - Needs a Little TLC and Your Opinion >

Rescued Quilt for $1 - Needs a Little TLC and Your Opinion

Rescued Quilt for $1 - Needs a Little TLC and Your Opinion

Old 09-10-2011, 07:07 AM

Found this in a the bottom of a box at a yard sale, it was folded back-side out and i did not initially see the front. Grabbed it up,lol, because there were several ladies digging beside me,thought I would use it as a backing . While waiting to pay, I took a peek ,realized it was indeed a quilt, asked '"How much? I held my breath, she said '"oh, how about a buck. Whew, thought she was going to say $10. There are 2 blocks and one side of binding that need stitching, the back is flannel same as border, its in great condition. The top is a little worn as you can tell. It 's just the edges of the flannel that have worn away. My initial thought was to put new batting and put a new binding, but it is tied and in some of the squares there is tearing around the tie-off point. :-( :thumbdown: It feels like a cloud its so soft, would be a great napping quilt. On second thought, I'm thinking, make repairs and put a solid flannel (aqua or blue) binding on and call it done. I know that it will take a little time, but I just couldn't pass it up for a buck or let it go to the garbage. What would you do to it? Would you invest the time? **** Added: it looks like a lot of old sheets were used , family clothing, whatever they had. I have several old sheets that have about the same wear that I could swap out.

torn block
[ATTACH=CONFIG]254184[/ATTACH]

torn around the yarn
[ATTACH=CONFIG]254185[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-254177.jpe   attachment-254178.jpe   attachment-254179.jpe  
Old 09-10-2011, 07:40 AM

Awesome find! Congratulations - I don't know much about restoration but I am sure it will be loved in it's new home!
Old 09-10-2011, 08:08 AM

Fabulous!
Old 09-10-2011, 09:06 AM
Power Poster

Great find
Old 09-10-2011, 09:16 AM

Maybe where the fabric is missing around the tie, you can do a yoyo then re-tie through it. the yoyo would cover the missing fabric and give something new to re-enforce the tie. the Rip- I would either replace the whole piece or add a piece of fabric over the tear for re-enforcement.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:17 AM

What a wonderful find: I would have "snatched it Up" too::: LOL: Oh yes, I would take the time to re-store whatever I could on it: Looks like some very Old fabrics used: Good for U.:::
Old 09-10-2011, 09:17 AM

What a great find!!!!
Old 09-10-2011, 09:21 AM

It's sad when quilts are tied and the knots pull through from being used. That is a cute quilt and I am glad it was rescued by you to love and respect it. crafty_linda_b
Old 09-10-2011, 11:39 AM
SMR

My first thought to repair the yarn pull holes was also yo-yos and retie. maybe you could hand applique squares of similar fabic to repair tears and then rebind.