An unwelcome Visitor

Old 09-18-2011, 08:32 PM

The door-to-door magazine sales scam was outlawed here in Oklahoma while I was still working for the attorney general's office. If they show up at your door all you have to ask is the name of the people they are working for so you can report this to the attorney general and I promise they will be gone in a flash and not come back to your house.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:40 PM

also be careful of those that usually use a female to knock at the door and say she needs gas money there is usually guys with her or waiting in the car. she comes in to see if it worth them joining her and then you have a home invasion going on. one knocked on our door at 2 in the morning smelling like a bar. my husband told her we had no money but he would see is we had any gas left outside by the time he got back to the door she was gone. i was so pissed at dh who opened the door and let in side it .he wouldn't listen to me at all. then when she was gone he believed me i told him someone was waiting for her. he better not do that ever again. i was a little scared then. we were just lucky plus we don't have anything here in this house to get. we sold and got rid of everything before coming here. him being so helpful all the time has gotten us in situations that could of got us killed. he needs to stop it. that is why we have policemen that are trained to deal with things like this.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by nativetexan
years ago one day i was leaving for work. walking away from my house when a car came behind me very slowly. i turned and waved at my empty house and kept walking. the car went away. i always thought they might be casing homes and seeing me leave, they might have thought about going into my home. but not with the invisible person there i waved to.
these days they just knock and break in.scary world.
when people come to the door if i must, i mention my husband or son. even if i'm alone!
My husband and I moved to an area where we had never been. We were building a house and rented an apartment for 3 months until the house was finished. Bad area. Everytime we left we shouted out loudly into the house "be right back, lock the doors". There was nobody inside but we always felt like it might prevent someone from breaking in.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:09 PM

"when seconds count, the police are only minutes away"
A cop can't be there when you need him. You need to be prepared to deal with a threat yourself.
Closed & Locked gates stop them from coming up in your yard so they don't make it to your door.
Y'all be careful.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:21 PM

Dogs are worth their weigh in gold nuggets......best alarm system you can find..........I live in the woods and I have THREE dogs now (used to have FOUR)......they let me know anytime anything drives up the driveway.........only they also bark at airplanes, helicoptors flying overhead, and who knows what else.........but no dumb bad guy is gonna try to come into a house with three dogs barking at them...
Old 09-18-2011, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by hobbykat1955
Never open your door to anyone these days...I talk thru the locked closed door. Unfortunately unless you know the person you can't trust anyone...that goes for girls or woman that come to the door also.
Another tip...if your car is parked outside your hse because you have tons of stuff in your garage...never leave your auto garage door opener in the car even if it's locked.
Very, very good advice! I also never open my door to anyone I don't know, and talk through the closed door, with my cell phone handy.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:43 AM

I never use my front door, so if that doorbell rings, I'm not home. The only exception is when pizza is coming. They can't seem to read "deliver to carport door."
Old 09-19-2011, 06:35 AM

I don't even open my door if I don't know who it is. I go to the window next to it and ask through the screen what they want.

One time years ago my doorbell rang. I was busy with my then baby so I didn't answer. After two rings, the guy tried to open the door. Pulled and yanked on the knob - probably assuming no one was home. It scared the snot out of me!

I learned later that two homes were robbed during the day in my neighborhood. Several people said they had seen a young man who just didn't "belong", but no one (including me) took the time to notify the police...

If I am working in the back yard, my front door is locked!
Old 09-19-2011, 06:48 AM
mim

In most towns, you have to get a permit to do any door to door selling or canvassing -- even for a survey. They should be able to show their permit. . Always call the police if someone is caseing the neighborhood. The police need to know what is going on in their area.

Mim
Old 09-19-2011, 08:11 AM

You have to be careful these days. Before we bought this house, we lived in what I guess was a sub-division. I was out in the garage, trying to clean it out, rearrange it, etc. The door was open, as was the door leading into the house. My front and back door were locked. I had lined our bicycles and my motorcycle up out in the driveway along side the car.

A young man came walking down the street from the cul de sac toward my house, and started up my lawn toward me. He was barefooted. I stepped outside the garage, holding a spray bottle of bug spray in my hand. He told me his car had broken down on the road that ran past the sub-division, and could he use my phone.

DO I really look like I have stupid stamped on my forehead? "Oh, I am sorry, but I carelessly locked myself out of the house, and am waiting for my husband to come home so I can get in." He didn't like it, but what was he going to do? I had a 'trigger finger' on the sprayer of the bug spray, and fully intended to give him a face full if he got cute with me.

He headed down the street, and I dashed inside to call my neighbor. He got inside her porch, but I knew he would not get in her door. She told him to get the hell out, and actually jumped in her car and chased him, but had notified the police first. He went to another house and rang the bell, and when the woman answered, Jane jumped out and yelled at the woman to shut her door NOW...and she did. The guy was really mad, but started running.

Now, the police were in the area, looking for both him and Jane. They did find and catch him. He had raped a girl in a house down at the cul-de-sac, right before heading up my way. He had picked up a pair of shoes from Jane's porch. They said it was a good thing I wouldn't let him in. Jane laughed when they said that, and of course, they asked why. She walked up to the door into my house, picked up a towel and showed them my gun. Yeah, I am not the most trusting soul, lol.