Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I caught the fever and bought a vintage singer >

I caught the fever and bought a vintage singer

I caught the fever and bought a vintage singer

Old 09-18-2011, 08:37 AM

Congratulations on your GREAT buy!
I wish you and the machine many years of happiness together!

AND, may the two of you produce many wonderful projects!
Old 09-18-2011, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by fatquarters
a few more
According to the ISMACS site, you do have a class 128. It has a 3/4 size bed, vibrating shuttle and the high bobbin winder. They do not list an electric model or a portable. So it was probably converted to an electric portable. These were made up to 1952 in the US and to 1962 in the UK. Since the decals are simple it is probably a later model.

Check out ISMACS.com. There is a lot of info there.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:17 AM

These are a few sites you can use to check on your Singer: If this doesn't help, perhaps just do a search for your machine number, as I did for the 127. I used the first one to identify my treadle 66. I hope it helps.

http://www.singerco.com/support/machine-serial-numbers

http://www.sandman-collectibles.com/...r-machines.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singer_...haracteristics
Old 09-18-2011, 11:22 AM

I have had a Standard treadle sewing machine for over 20 years. I was told by a sewing machine shop that Singer bought out Standard when they started so it actually predates Singer!! The machine worked the last time I used it about 10 years ago and it is in good shape except for a small piece of deterioration in the wooden top. I'm working on setting up a studio in my finished, waterproof basement and intend to set up my machine down there.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by rosentol
I have had a Standard treadle sewing machine for over 20 years. I was told by a sewing machine shop that Singer bought out Standard when they started so it actually predates Singer!! The machine worked the last time I used it about 10 years ago and it is in good shape except for a small piece of deterioration in the wooden top. I'm working on setting up a studio in my finished, waterproof basement and intend to set up my machine down there.
Not necessarily. Standard machines were still being produced in 1915 that I know of...Singer started in 1851... :)
Old 09-18-2011, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Not necessarily. Standard machines were still being produced in 1915 that I know of...Singer started in 1851... :)
So the guy either didn't know what he was talking about or sold me a bunch of bananas!!! LOL!!
Old 09-18-2011, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee

I own a Standard Rotary in treadle; mine was made around 1900. This is what I learned from what little I could find on the internet on Standard Sewing Machine Co. They began in 1884 in Cleveland, Ohio. Taken over by the Osann Co. in 1929, which was later acquired by Singer in 1930's.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:51 AM
Power Poster

He knew something, but didn't have the whole story. Standard became a subsidiary of the Frederick Osann Co in 1929, and the Osann Co was purchased by Singer in 1934, so Singer "sort of" bought Standard. http://www.sewmuse.co.uk/standard.htm

But sewing machines were being manufactured by Isaac Singer as early as 1851, with the Singer Manufacturing Company being formed in 1863. The Standard Sewing Machine Co only goes back to 1884.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:51 AM

Okay so I learn that just because someone has a sewing machine shop doesn't mean they know what they are talking about. Still love my machine and look forward to using it again. Just hope the belt is still in good enough shape. Any ideas on where parts can be found?
Old 09-18-2011, 11:53 AM
Power Poster

Okay so I learn that just because someone has a sewing machine shop doesn't mean they know what they are talking about. Still love my machine and look forward to using it again. Just hope the belt is still in good enough shape. Any ideas on where parts can be found?
Depending on the model you have, Singer parts may fit it. Singer continued producing some of the lines it purchased from other manufacturers.