Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
I just caught the vintage sewing machine BUG! >

I just caught the vintage sewing machine BUG!

I just caught the vintage sewing machine BUG!

Old 09-30-2014, 05:45 PM

Default I just caught the vintage sewing machine BUG!

SOOOO thrilled --- was looking at our local Goodwill for vintage tables to decorate the quilting retreat with and totally stumbled across a vintage 1913 Singer Sphinx sewing machine for $24.99!! Was interested in the table and was totally shocked when I opened it up to find the gorgeous machine. What an amazing piece of history, craftsmanship and art! Will be following this quilting board category from now on to find out what I can learn from all of you! (can you tell I am excited about my find??)
Attached Thumbnails photo-4.jpg  
Old 09-30-2014, 06:17 PM
Banned

with good reason!!! Welcome, and great find! READ.... READ..... especially the "sticky" threads at the top.

Here is a WORLD of info for you to read as well
http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mach...pany/home.html

and here is where you can look up the serial number
http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mach...-database.html
Old 09-30-2014, 06:25 PM

Thanks alot, Steve -- the craftsmanship is amazing -- I am hooked!
Old 09-30-2014, 06:50 PM

Welcome!
You really did great! I think you have a Singer model 127 due to the boss for the motor mount. Most machines with the Sphinx decals are pretty beat up. Your looks like it's in great shape. It uses standard sewing machine needles and long bobbins are still available new as well. Try treadling it. You might be surprised at how easy and enjoyable it is.

And what Steve said. Read the stickies on cleaning your machine and watch Muv's videos. Use only sewing machine oil. Other oils can cause problems down the road.
You can download a free manual at Singerco.com.
Rodney
Rodney
Old 09-30-2014, 06:58 PM

Nice find!!!! I'm hooked too
Old 09-30-2014, 07:00 PM

Oh my! It must have been calling out to you. It is beautiful! For that price I would have had it in my car before anyone else walked in the store. Congratulations on your find.
Old 10-01-2014, 02:11 AM

The belt from the treadle up to the machine is broken -- does anyone have a recommended source for a new belt?
Old 10-01-2014, 03:35 AM

That is a great find. I was looking for a machine that was easier transportable to my quilt guild. I had been searching at the local thrift stores and garage sales. After several months, I found a old Seammaster by Simplicity, from the 60's for $17. It was in a carrying case and looked very clean. I got it home and cleaned and oiled it and it sews like a dream. I love it. I also had a Kenmore machine in a cabinet in the basement that went through a flood and damp conditions for several years. The handwheel would turn barely, but the needle did not move. So my husband and I got to working with it and oiling it. We had to take the handwheel off and very gently turn the mechanism with large pliers, after working with it for a little while we got it going. I went from my one new machine that is very heavy to 3 machines. I just love it and they have a beautiful stitch.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:43 AM

that's a very nice machine!

And for fun - Singer converted from the 27 to the 127 around 1913, so you've got a very early 127 there.

SewClassic is a very good site for supplies- belts and bobbins and such. Treadle belts are readily available and affordable. You get one on the long side, cut it to fit, punch a hole in for the staple and you are good to go. Word of warning -with Singers, you need to "derail" the belt before you put the machine away, since the machine needs to tilt backwards to flip up the front support.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:49 AM

Beautiful find. Congrats