Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I am pretty sure this is NOT the way to accept pmt for an item i am selling on craigslist! >

I am pretty sure this is NOT the way to accept pmt for an item i am selling on craigslist!

I am pretty sure this is NOT the way to accept pmt for an item i am selling on craigslist!

Old 09-27-2011, 06:02 AM

Now that just screams SCAM----------
Old 09-27-2011, 06:19 AM

They are waiting everywhere to try to bilk the next sucker!
Old 09-27-2011, 06:19 AM

*****S C A M*****
Old 09-27-2011, 06:29 AM

This is a scam. When you cash the check at your bank and send the money to the other person then when the check bounces you are the one responsible for all the money
Old 09-27-2011, 06:47 AM

It's a scam! My daughter was selling some furniture on Craigs list and someone wanted her to do the same thing. She told Craigs list about them sure enough it was a scam.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:47 AM

This definitely sounds like a scam. When they say they are sending a check and want money back.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:53 AM

It wasn't Craigs List but I did get something similiar at my work email address. I responded that I could not help them but I knew someone who could help them and was forwarding the email to the Attorney General's office.

I've never been bothered with this again.

P.S. If they want my address, I give them the address to the police station. haha
Old 09-27-2011, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by sparkys_mom
That sounds exactly like the spam emails we all get saying we have won a lottery we didn't enter and all we have to do is send $$$$ to someone for a processing fee and then we'll get the money. Right!!! :hunf:
-------------------------------------
I've gotten these, same wording.
But I DO win with mail-in sweepstakes, and loved the Macintosh I last won a few years ago, among lots of other interesting things. The win came in a registered letter, I had to go to a Notary to sign for it, then send it back in the postage paid envelope it came with. D.L Blair is an honest company, probably lots of others out there, but do be careful what you tell them and VERY careful what you sign for.
THEN I had to add the value of this to my income tax, because the company also informs the IRS about this win. All this will alert you to the fact it is more honest than usual.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
If you really want to mess with their heads, say - "go ahead and send the check" - then when you get it , tell them your bank advised you to wait until it clears before sending them any money. Or tell them the bank said it was fake.

Or tell them you cashed the check and decided to keep all the money for yourself because you had unexpected bills.

I have gotten these kinds of responses on items as low as a $20 ice cream maker. Now I just usually disable email replies on a CL ad - they can call me if they are interested.
I love your response. I've never gotten one of these but if I do I'll definitely use one of your replies. :thumbup:
Old 09-27-2011, 07:15 AM

I think it's a scam.