Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Lost quilts in the mail >

Lost quilts in the mail

Lost quilts in the mail

Old 10-01-2011, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Carol Ann
When I mailed my two quilts last Xmas to Italy, I was able to mail them to my daughter-in-law who works at the American Embassy. I think the reason some of the quilts never make it to the destination is because on the mailing paper you have to fill out you put "QUILT". Does this make sense?
I would list it as 'fabric' on the form if that is what you are worried about. Other hints for pkgs within the USA: I always mail a quilt Priority or Express...they travel through less machines and get better handling. Make sure it's insured & needs a signature for delivery and keep your mailing receipt in case of loss so they can trace it. Take a picture of it before mailing & like others have said make sure you have addresses inside & out of the pkg. Contact the recipient to let them know when you send it & keep track of it online. If you think it may be lost, contact your local PO & see how soon you can put a tracer on it. Make sure your boxes are sturdy & well taped, too.
I've never had any problems, yet.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by GGJudy
Is it true that Canadian FedEx charges a hefty tax on the recipient of the package based on the value of the contents??
I think you'll find it is not FedEx, but the government (national and provincial) that imposes taxes and duties in Canada. FedEx (NYSE: FDX) is a publicly held corporation and has no power to tax anything but a customer's patience. :D They also own Kinko's.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider
Originally Posted by GGJudy
Is it true that Canadian FedEx charges a hefty tax on the recipient of the package based on the value of the contents??
I think you'll find it is not FedEx, but the government (national and provincial) that imposes taxes and duties in Canada. FedEx (NYSE: FDX) is a publicly held corporation and has no power to tax anything but a customer's patience. :D They also own Kinko's.
They use a broker. And the broker is generally known for gouging people like crazy. And believe it or not, UPS is actually worse. That's why I very, very rarely will ship quilts cross-border, and instead maintain both US & Canadian PO boxes for that purpose. While it's true that FedEx itself doesn't charge these insane fees, from what I've heard, they charge a fee to use their broker, and then the broker works with Canada Revenue to apply the "correct" duties & taxes (in quotation marks because it's been wrong in my case so many freaking times.)
Old 10-03-2011, 12:02 PM

I would be very hesitant to indicate on the customs form that what was in the package is not exactly what is in the package. I have sent handbags to Germany and Poland; soon some to Denmark and Norway. The bags breezed through German customs and arrived safely in about two weeks. The bag in Poland was held up in customs for almost a month after its arrival. The lady that purchased the bag had to go to the customs office twice, and pay an additional $30 to finally be able to bring it home. I always fill out the forms honestly. The forms for Germany and Poland were basically identical, yet for some reason there was a major issue in Poland. I was in frequent contact with that customer during the ordeal. I felt so bad for her...
Old 10-03-2011, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by kraftykimberly
Insurance would be good for recouping dollars, but it sure wont help recouping the time and love put into the item. For me it wouldnt even be about the money, but then again Im a sentimental fool that gets attached to my projects, so insurance wouldnt help me since my sense of loss would be from losing the intangibles :-(
I feel exactly the same way. I become very attached to my quilts.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:16 PM

I just went over and read that article and looked at the video. That is really something...sad.

Wish we had the WAR AMP thing for keys here though!~that's kind of cool!~if you find them, drop them in a mailbox and they will scan the little bar code and get them back to you.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:20 PM

I can't even imagine someone throwing a quilt away that is lost at the very least they could give it to charity it's not like it's going to hurt someone. What a shame to waste something so valuable. Makes me wonder who makes that dumb rule and what a waste. Sue