Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone been burned buying a sewing machine on Ebay >

Has anyone been burned buying a sewing machine on Ebay

Has anyone been burned buying a sewing machine on Ebay

Old 10-02-2011, 06:10 AM

I've always bought mine from a dealer. You don't know what you're getting from a total stranger, if you get it at all & who is going to stand behind it for repairs? If you buy from a local dealer, you have service, possibly classes & a guarantee. I would never make a major purchase off Ebay
Old 10-02-2011, 06:31 AM

i bought a serger on ebay--it was well packaged and arrived in good condition--price was 'good'.... but when i needed assistance with it, i had to pay for 'guide classes' at my LQS--(would have been free if i bought machine from them)--so, together, i can't say that i got a great deal. I shopped for Bernina Embroidery machine on Ebay also--but found that the prices from the 'big' sellers were not significantly different from the discounted prices on a new machine from the Bernina dealer in my area (deep discounts over list). So compare the 'best' deal you can get on a new machine and factor in if you would take advantage of the free guide classes for buying locally.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:35 AM

I bought a Berninia 1230 and cabinet from ebay it was as described. seller packed the machine very well and the cabinet too but one inside corner of the cabinet got damage in shipping how we are not sure. but I took a picture of it and seller refunded $100.00 since it was insured and my husband fixed it since inside know one but me knows it is there. It came from Canada and had free shipping to Indy airport so just paid to get it from there. lots of other sewing items with it .machine had been the sellers's mother's machine... I had several email and phone conversations with seller... love sewing on it... and think of the previous owner as I sew.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:36 AM

I have only had one bad experience with the shippping of an antique hand crank machine from ebay ~ I received it in 5 pieces! the box had been dropped on both ends even though it was marked "Fragile" and the hand crank was the part that was destroyed. The seller gave me a full refund and told me to keep the machine as he didn't have an extra crank at the time but would watch for one for it and let me know when he found one. All the other machines that I have received from ebay have been delivered in good condition but I now try to pick them up when ever possible. Good luck!
Old 10-02-2011, 06:50 AM

i bought one two yrs ago from someone in Montreal.....didn`t like it....sent it back and got money back...couldn`t believe it...
Old 10-02-2011, 06:52 AM

really good info here--appreciate your comments as i have been "looking" too! GLAD you started this thread!
Old 10-02-2011, 06:56 AM

I had trouble with UPS destroying my Singer XL100 which I can't say enough good things about. They could not replace it so gave me much less than it was worth. Then I bought a brand new XL5000 from an individual who bought and never used it machine. Have had no problems so far. I buy a lot from ebay and have no complaints. Knock on wood!!!
Old 10-02-2011, 06:58 AM

Sorry computer locked up.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:59 AM

I hope you got your machine! I've bought 2 machines and both are still in use and in excellent condition. My seller was a power seller and had an excellent rating. Both machines came in original boxes and was stated as such in the listings. I would not hesitate to buy from Ebay and pay through paypal due to their refund policies.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:59 AM

If I were to buy a machine thru ebay it would be worth the cost to me to have the seller take it to UPS or FedX and have them pack it properly. Also, I would pay the insurance on the shipping. It the machine is a good bargain and you have a dated email from the seller addressed to you attesting to the fact that it sews and works properly then I'd buy it. Also, pay thru PayPal so your purchase is protected.