Hi from Ireland

Hi from Ireland

Old 10-07-2011, 08:16 AM

Welcome!
Old 10-07-2011, 09:04 AM

You will love this site... warning... it is addicting... =) welcome
Old 10-07-2011, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Morag
Welcome from a transplanted scotsman in Virginia. The Missouri Star Quilt company has great fabrics including notions on their web site. They also have great quilt tutorials...
Have fun and go quilt:):)
Hi Morag-oh I am so jealous...I put the Missouri Star quilt company into my favourites so i dont forget the link. Fab-thanks
Old 10-07-2011, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by girlsfour
Welcome to the board!

I was born in St Paul, MN here in the US. Just had to tell you it's a very Irish city. Has a rather large parade on St Patricks day. They even paint the line down the middle of the parade route green and sell green beer all over the place. I think it's the only time they really allow drinking on the streets. It's a huge party atmosphere that starts early in the day and continues through the evening.

My dad was 100% Irish, and yes, he did partake in the festivities!

Meg

Hi Meg- wow sounds great-Paddy's Day sounds like a very Irish experience that everyone can enjoy:-) its good your Dad had a good time as well!! Well you ahve to show willing don't you?! Have to say St. Paul sounds like a home from home!
We have the big Dublin one here and lots of bands come over from all parts of the States for it-its a really multicultural experience now as well.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Honeynga
Welcome from GA ! My youngest daughter went to school in Ireland for a semester, University of Cork ? She loved her time there ! Welcome.
Thanks Honeynga!! I think thats UCC in Cork City. It's a beautiful place! Thanks again.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by C.
Welcome from Michigan!!!! Glad you discovered the site. I just love it. Any question you have gets answered. So helpful. You won't be sorry with connecting threads, I have used them for years. You have such beautiful scenery, so peaceful for quilting. Again, welcome quilting sister....
Thanks C..I really think this site is awesome..and actually have also put connecting threads on my favourites- I would forget the link otherwise :oops: It's great to get a recommendation for sites.
Its very quiet where I live- i can look out of my front door and all i see are fields and a few rabbits..its great for quilting!
Old 10-07-2011, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by valsma
Hello Lois and welcome from Oregon. I'm self taught to but these wonderful people here are helping me learn better by sharing their knowledge.

If the pictures you see of Ireland do it justice then you are very fortunate. I am second generation American with deep Irish roots based out of County Donegal. Not sure I spelled that right. Grandfather immigrated in the late 1800's.
Hey Tammy.. its very green here, mainly because of all our rain..not good for the joints though but good for the soul!
Donegal (you spelled it perfectly) is way up in the North West- so our two counties would be at the very opposite ends of the country..we are sort of the 'doggies tail' if you can visualise ireland as being like a Scottie dog if you sort of turn the map round a bit!
Old 10-07-2011, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin
Hi Lois and welcome to the board from southern Illinois. Did you know that in the US women who are named Lois have huge get-togethers to celebrate being named Lois ? Alas, I am not a 'Lois'. Hope you enjoy being with us.
Hi there Wannabe..well no I didnt know that..my name is fairly unusual here and I get called mostly everything apart from Lois..I ahve even been called Laois, after the county (pronounced Leesh)!! I am sure I will love it here-everyone ahs been so welcoming and friendly.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by rosalia856
Welcome to the quilters guide to just about any thing you might have a question about. I have been quilting for only 6 years and I find this site to be so helpful and full of inspiration. I live here in Ohio where we are leaving fall soon and heading into winter. I will get caught up on those unfinished projects. Let me know if I can help you in any way. Happy Quiltin!
Thanks Rosalia- I really appreciate your help and your welcome. I am sure to improve heaps now that I have found this board!
Old 10-07-2011, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by grandjan
Lois, I followed the link to your website and looked at some of your work. It is wonderful. Do you capture some of that same "feel" in your fiber arts? I'd love to see. Welcome to the board from East Tennessee USA
Hi Grandjan..thankyou so much...I am really glad you liked my paintings..I have new work to put up for this years project, but havent done so yet..oops!I originally qualified as a sculptor but went back to 2D work in about 2000..I absolutely adore colour, I even used to paint my animal sculptures, and have always loved texture, so i am really hoping I can transfer these into my quilts. It will be very interesting because using textiles is a whole different ball-game!
I have only done the one quilt- well a wallhanging really and its pretty shonky..I wanted to see if I could complete it and that was before I found all the lovely fabrics online so had to buy what was available in a store here. I am sure I will improve a lot now that I have found you all!