Intro

Old 11-28-2006, 03:29 PM

Hello to everyone! My name is Suzi and i'm from Rochester, N.Y. It's such a pleasure to read about quilting like this! I've been doing it for about 15 years but still have so much more to learn. I have three grown sons and two grandchildren with another on the way. That does not leave too much time for sewing. I am really looking forward to talking with all of you and hearing your stories.
Thank you for including me in this forum.
Have a wonderful evening!!
Old 11-29-2006, 04:51 AM

WELCOME, SUZI.........I AM NANCY, FROM WI. JSUT BEGINNING QUILTING, AS OF A YEAR NOW. MY KIDS ARE CLOSE TO YOU..MAINE. I GO THERE TWICE A YEAR TIO SEE THE KIDDIES,,,,,2 GIRLIES, AND ONE LITTLE GUY! THE APPLES OF MY EYES! HOPE WE CAN CHAT! HAVE A GREAT DAY! NANNER
Old 11-29-2006, 05:13 PM

Hi Nanner: I know how that is...having to visit the kids. I have a son
in Clearwater Fl. They just had my First Granddaughter. I just got back from seeing her. What a hard time i had when it was time to leave and come home. Hope we can chat about quilting and families. Have a good night!
Old 12-03-2006, 04:55 PM

Hi Susie

Welcome, My my name is Becky, I'm from the Peachy State of GA. I've been sewing for 35yrs and been seriously quilting for about 15 yrs, I'm addicted, I design my own quilts, I love applique quilts. I have 3 grown sons and 4 gr-children, 3boys, and 1 gr-daughter. They are the songs in my heart.I drive a big yellow school bus for special need children, I'm also a RMA, (Registered Medical Asst), I quit after 14 yrs, My 3rd year with special need children, And I love my job, because I love my kids. If theres any thing I can help you with, please ask, I love to help, if I can. Just remeber there are NO DUM QUESTIONS, And FEAR is your greatest enemy.
Old 12-04-2006, 04:37 AM

So excited to hear of this site....many questions. Retired and began quilting, a joy my mother-in-law taught me in 2001. I have a question on the quilt I am working on....as I am stippling (I think that is the word) my quilt, my top thread on the machine keeps raveling and I have to cut, rethread and begin again....HELP
Rainbow
Old 12-04-2006, 06:39 AM

I have a few suggestions, If your stippling through your quilt top, batting, and quilt back, Do you have the correct size needle? How about your tension? Are you moving your fabric around to fast? If it's the thread it's self then it's the thread, I use 100% cotton thread when stippling, Try these and let me know what it was?
Old 12-04-2006, 06:54 AM

Hi Rainbow, If you are using a universal needle to stipple, you might want to try a quilting needle or topstitch needle instead. I also use a good quality machine quilting thread. Hope this helps.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:42 AM

THANKS !!!! I changed needles - use the good kind - but never heard of the needles you mentioned...will have to go shopping for this. Quite frustrating to stop and start over and over so I KNEW there must be an answer to this.

Rainbow
Old 12-04-2006, 08:45 AM

Becky, THANKS....will try this. I LOVE the time quilting and find stippling to be quite a lot of fun. I pieced the Irish Chain quilt - so I am stippling only the open squares - and stitching in the ditch the smaller squares. This is the first time with BOTH of these procedures. I have always done diagonals. Quite an experience for me. Appreciate your input.

Rainbow
Old 12-04-2006, 08:51 AM

Rainbow, make sure the notch on your thread spool is not at the top where the thread comes off, if it hangs it will get tight and shred and break.