Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What are your plans for Thanksgiving 2011? >

What are your plans for Thanksgiving 2011?

What are your plans for Thanksgiving 2011?

Old 10-20-2011, 05:42 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Hmmmmm...well I am not sure yet .. but it maybe a stay at home weekend for us.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:43 AM

Usually, I hold to the tradition of fixing a turkey and all the trimmings, play games, visit, invite lonely friends in. We have noticed our families no longer treasures the traditions much as we did and sometimes one family cannot make it for valid reasons. This year two families cannot make it for valid reasons. The younger generation grandkids come eat and go off to somewhere else. I'm older now,it is a lot of work, and I want the focus to be thankfulness for our blessings, so this year we are having grilled cheese for Jesus. Our families are Christian, and with so many people in distress because of the economy, tornadoes, etc. we will help at the food kitchen that feeds the public.
We will give each family member the money to donate to their favorite charity or church, money that the meal and trimmings would usually cost here at the house.
We will still be in town, those who come will still visit and have a nice time and a few desserts. But the focus will not be stuff ourselves, shop, watch tv, fall asleep, run all over trying to get to in-laws,other grandparents, etc.
We think as the oldest of them all, we should still continue to set an example. We are thankful to Jesus for His sacrifice and do not mind making some ourselves as He modeled.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:44 AM

VEGAS BABY!!!!!!
Old 10-20-2011, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
Well we'll be home. No one has invited my tribe since we went over 5 children. (We are at 14 now) Can't say I blame them. I am not sure what we are cooking but I think it will be mash potatoes, corn, buns, turkey, boiled yams, fresh made cranberries, about a pie a person, green bean casserole, Martinelli apple cider and canned olives.
You would fit right in with our families. We have 8 children and 25 grandchildren and GGK and my siblings and their families always think like the more the better. We enjoy all the little ones running around especially on holidays.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:37 AM

I'm pretty sure we will be home alone, as usual, since all of family & kids live in CA. Thinking, for a change, might try to find a real small turkey & do a more traditional dinner this year, on a small scale, of course. Not much is definite yet, so time will tell. DH might want to go just have turkey out somewhere, so we'll see...
Old 10-20-2011, 07:06 AM

Well ever since my parents "ditched" all us kids for thanksgiving at the family mountain cabin in Maggie Valley with all the "older" generation relatives, we decided Disney would be our traditional thanksgiving destination. Works great, the oldies are in the mountains where its nice and quiet and us youngsters are hanging with Mickey. Win Win for everybody !!
Old 10-20-2011, 07:21 AM

One of my DSILs or a DN will be the hostess and I will bring whatever they suggest -- I love these holidays get-togethers with the extended family and appreciate that others do so much of the work -- we do the same at Christmas
Old 10-20-2011, 07:34 AM

I'm taking off work the 3 days before. So excited. Dinner always at my house, always fun. We usually host an international student or 2 from the university, which is also always fun. My oldest is in Canada, so we set the laptop up on the corner of the table or buffet, and they eat with us on Skype. Last year our Isreali visitor did the same thing. It was riotous fun. More so because my DSIL knows Arabic, and is a divinity student, so they were talking more than any of us!
Old 10-20-2011, 07:39 AM

Going to my oldest son's house for dinner. I love letting my daughter in law cook!!!!!
Old 10-20-2011, 07:58 AM

I normally host my mother's side of the family (only cousins left now) but there have been some changes and there are only 3 of us cousins left (plus our kids). So this year, my one cousin that lives near me (he is recently divorced) will go with DH and me to Albuquerque, NM to the other cousin's. Our son and his wife (from Colorado ?springs) will meet us there. We are pretty excited. We will go to a nice restaurant for dinner and just enjoy spending time with each other. My two cousins (both guys) are like brothers to me and we are all very close.