Crafting on a Plane

Old 10-25-2011, 08:00 PM

I'm about to embark on a 10-12 hour plane trip shortly. Well, between flights and layovers anyway. Does anyone off-hand know what crafting tools will be allowed? I'm thinking maybe crochet stuff might be best, but I will need something to cut the yarn. Any helpful hints? Thanks!
Old 10-25-2011, 08:02 PM

I use nail clipped to clip yarn...
Old 10-25-2011, 08:03 PM

I would like to know too. I will be going to Europe this winter and know the rules have been relaxed a teeny bit. I would like to take some hand work since I cannot sleep on a plane under any circumstance!
Old 10-25-2011, 08:04 PM
Google Goddess

I have heard others uses a dental floss container to also cut yarn or thread on a plane

Originally Posted by dogpursemaker
I'm about to embark on a 10-12 hour plane trip shortly. Well, between flights and layovers anyway. Does anyone off-hand know what crafting tools will be allowed? I'm thinking maybe crochet stuff might be best, but I will need something to cut the yarn. Any helpful hints? Thanks!
Old 10-25-2011, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by dogpursemaker
The last time I tried to fly Crochet hooks were not allowed NO SCISSORS what so ever not even the child safe plastic ones, It was STUPID, I was surprised they let me have a sharp pencil If I am dangerous with plastic scissors just imagine what I could to with a pencil!!!
Ok deep breath, let go of the irritation.......
Couldn't even bring a soda.

I hate flying, supposedly it got a little better, so hopefully there is more current experiences on here for you.
Enjoy the flight!
Old 10-25-2011, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by bluteddi
I use nail clipped to clip yarn...
Nashville, takes nail clippers away... You know... Just incase you want to give someone a manny Peddy, cut their nails to short and chaos ensues.

Tisk Tisk...dangerous
Old 10-25-2011, 08:07 PM

I had my nail clippers removed on a flight back from Cuba...had forgotten about them in my makeup bag....I have one of those necklace thread yarn cutters...you could get one of those...crochet hooks are ok...my sister was crocheting on the flight but she brought a plastic one...not metal...and there is a website I found that stipulates all the banned stuff and the restrictions...but I have to say I can't remember...I just googled it....
Old 10-25-2011, 08:08 PM
Power Poster

Last year when I flew the scissors had to have blades less than 4 inches- you can go to the TSA site and they will tell you what is allowed - also check with the airline you are flying
Old 10-25-2011, 08:18 PM

I always laugh at the stories about what the airlines won't let you have. It reminds me of a nursing home that I worked at when I was fresh out of nursing school. We had a sweet lady that loved to crochet and knit and did so for hours. She was forgetful and needed constant reminders of meds, meals, showers etc. The higher ups felt that she was at risk of hurting herself with the knitting needles and crochet hooks and took them away. She was lost! I reminded them that she could put her eye out with her toothbrush if she really wanted to! They gave the needles and hooks back to her!
Old 10-25-2011, 08:33 PM

You can get a scissors from www.Jean Lyle safe for airline security clearance. It looks like a childs paper scissors but is very sharp.
It depends a lot who is doing the security check.

I recently had a very small bottle of hand sanitizer taken away.

Its a good idea to carry a padded mailing envelope with your name and address and postage just incase you forgot something in your carry on or purse. They will mail it for you..