Crafting on a Plane

Old 10-26-2011, 02:25 AM

I just flew from Japan to Washington D.C. and from there back to California. I brought cross stitch with me and I always bring nail clippers with me to cut the thread. But you have to bring the type without a little attached file (which is considered a blade). You need to put the clippers in your little plastic bag of liquids and cosmetics that go through the x-ray check.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:30 AM

I use an empty dental floss container for cutting thread when travelling.

It's probably best to check with the airline to save any embarrassment.

It's ironical really as you are allowed to take a pen or biro on board to write with and yet you could do a lot of damage with a pen if you wanted to.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:56 AM

I don't know the name of the web site, but if you google up you should be able to find a site that will tell you what you can't have on a plane. I flew a shile back and look on it and went threw my purse and took alot of things out.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:08 AM

Go to TSA.gov. They update the list of allowed items periodically. Last time I looked, they did not differentiate between metal and/or wooden or plastic knitting needles. I carry the updated list with me just in case there is a question. I do remember when just about everything was not allowed, awful boring flights.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by dogpursemaker
I'm about to embark on a 10-12 hour plane trip shortly. Well, between flights and layovers anyway. Does anyone off-hand know what crafting tools will be allowed? I'm thinking maybe crochet stuff might be best, but I will need something to cut the yarn. Any helpful hints? Thanks!
Hi,
I fly between Norway and USA at least twice a year and with in Europe 2 or 3 times a year... I have had no problem taking crotchet or knitting needles with me. I only use a nail clipper for cutting yarn. What I have discovered is I don't usually do much craft work while traveling. On the plane I usually watch the movies or sleep or read - unless I end up with a "chatty Kathy" next to me... :shock:
Old 10-26-2011, 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by bluteddi
I use nail clipped to clip yarn...
I used a seam ripper! Edie

Oh, yes, be sure not to do anything crafty at all until the airplane is in the air. I had to put my embroidery needle away until then because the stewardess said that if we went down (crashed) I would get a needle in my eye. She wouldn't even let me pin it to my shirt (maybe she was afraid I would deflate myself)At that point, what difference would it make????????
Old 10-26-2011, 04:12 AM

On my travels this year I couldn't get out of Australia with anything sharp made of metal, in my hand luggage. I could take nail clippers, needles, and scissors with me as long as they were in my checked luggage. Any of these things would have been confiscated at the security check. And it was the same at every airport, train station and ship dock that we used. All sharp metal objects had to be in the suitcase.
A funny story: Every time we caught a train in Beijing we had to have our bags scanned by security. Sometimes there wasn't anyone watching the screen!!! and one time the girl who was supposed to be watching the screen was sound asleep!!! Most times we only travelled for one stop to get to my DD's house.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:14 AM

Good luck!!!
Old 10-26-2011, 04:28 AM

The TSA site says you can take scissors with blades under 4" and I didn't have any trouble with that when I traveled in August, but I'd take a backup just in case like the clover circular cutters with only a slit for the blade area, and only my second best scissors.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:36 AM

I haven't flown in a few years and never thought then to take any crafting supplies. Please check both the TSA website http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...ted-items.shtm for an up-to-date list of prohibited items. Also verify with your airline shortly before your flight. As someone suggested, carry a prepaid padded self addressed envelope so that you can mail items back home if need be.

Be aware that some airports and security lines are more stricter than others. If you are traveling internationally, other rules may apply as well.

ETA: Just in case, take items that you can live without if they do take them away without allowing you to mail them home. If need be, buy special (cheap :-)) supplies and save your good ones for home.