Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question for Owners of Brother PQ1500S (especially those who don't use a frame) >

Question for Owners of Brother PQ1500S (especially those who don't use a frame)

Question for Owners of Brother PQ1500S (especially those who don't use a frame)

Old 10-26-2011, 06:14 PM

I have a question about the Brother PQ1500S sewing machine.

I know there are quite a few here who do not use their machines on a frame; you're the folks I have a question for! Do any of you use the Grace Speed Control with your machine? It's my understanding (from reading stuff on the 'net) that the Grace control subsitutes for the Start/Stop button, as well as regulating the machine's speed, because it's a replacement for the foot pedal.

I'm used to FMQ with the Start/Stop button only (could never get my hands and feet to coordinate FMQ using the foot pedal). I'm thinking of purchasing the PQ1500S and the Grace control so that I could have all of that nice extra room for FMQ, and I would also use it for piecing. This would be as a regular sewing machine, NOT on a frame.

Any and all responses welcomed!!
Old 10-26-2011, 06:46 PM

I have this machine and it does not have a start/stop button, just the foot pedal. I will be watching this though as I would like to get some kind of speed control on my machine too.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:02 AM

This can be done, provided you have the Grace Speed Control specific for that machine. The Grace Speed Control is specific to each brand and sometimes model of machine. They are not all the same. For instance, a Grace Speed Control for a Viking MegaQuilter might not work for a Brother PQ1500S or even a different Viking model. The major difference being the plug configuration.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:07 AM

Thank you! I understand about the different controls. I've been looking at the Allbrands website, and they are very clear about which controls work with specific machines (each one has a list). So, that's the easy part! I was also wondering if anyone actually uses the machine in this way or had tried it.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:23 PM

Donna,
I am considering buying the Brother PQ1500S and was wondering what your opinion is of the machine?
Old 01-25-2012, 07:32 PM

I have the exact set-up you are considering.... (machine & Grace speed control) but have not tried it yet. I have been sewing with the machine just to get use to it.... playing with tension... etc... before I begin quilting. I have 3 quilt tops ready to go and am anxious to get started. I am, however, starting with a simple lap size quilt so that I can practice. My husband built me a custom table frame (with moving platform). Hopefully, I will get to try it all out this weekend. I'll keep you posted.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:26 AM

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by BluegrassGurl View Post
I have the exact set-up you are considering.... (machine & Grace speed control) but have not tried it yet. I have been sewing with the machine just to get use to it.... playing with tension... etc... before I begin quilting. I have 3 quilt tops ready to go and am anxious to get started. I am, however, starting with a simple lap size quilt so that I can practice. My husband built me a custom table frame (with moving platform). Hopefully, I will get to try it all out this weekend. I'll keep you posted.
Donna and Tigger,
I have used a Brother PQ-1500S for years and love it. I have sold a new Janome 6600 because I couldn't stand the feed on fine fabrics and use my 1500 almost exclusively with the exception of buttonholes and wide stitches. (I use one of my cheap Brothers from WalMart for those things. (I have those to teach sewing) I love the 1500 so much, I got another used one from my dealer. The second one I put on a mid-range Grace frame with the stitch regulator.

The stitch regulator I'm pretty sure will not work without the frame and carriage set-up. It has sensors coming from the X- and Y-axis wheels on the carriage so it can detect the speed/direction of the hand-controlled movement. That is how it slows and speeds up the machine to make fairly regular stitches so matter the direction. There is not a similar way to get that input from moving fabric on the flatbed of a machine at a table. I'm not an expert, but that's how I see it from setting it up and using it for quite some time. Attached is a close-up photo with part of the sensor and wires to help visualize this.

If you hear of anyone wanting to sell their 1500, please let me know. I am always in the market. And I would love to buy another one for use in classes and possibly one to donate for humanitarian aid volunteer sewing work in our church.

BTW, I would probably sell the Grace frame, sure stitch, and quick-zip system, fourth rail, etc. I'm in Idaho.

Good luck to you all.

--Charlene
Attached Thumbnails surestitchsetup.jpg  
Old 09-23-2014, 07:55 AM

I have a Brother 1500 I want to sell. Asking $350 plus shipping from zip 79904. Might not be worth it with shipping, not sure. Michelle Guadarrama
Old 09-23-2014, 09:31 AM
Power Poster

I have the Grace Speed Control for the Brother 1500 and it's still in the box. The machine is so good I have learned to be pretty good using the pedal. I keep thinking I need to try it out. The box explains a lot: don't know why it posted twice.
Attached Thumbnails 1-photo-2-9-.jpg   2-photo-1-1-.jpg  

Last edited by Onebyone; 09-23-2014 at 09:33 AM.
Old 09-24-2014, 11:31 AM
Power Poster

I tried it this morning. Works great on my Brother 1500 no frame. The back panel has the settings for the other brand of machines. It's easy to see what you need to set it too from the diagram in the instruction sheet. The cord plugs into the machine where the foot pedal plug goes. That's it. Took me about 10 seconds to install.