Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question for Owners of Brother PQ1500S (especially those who don't use a frame) >

Question for Owners of Brother PQ1500S (especially those who don't use a frame)

Question for Owners of Brother PQ1500S (especially those who don't use a frame)

Old 05-29-2015, 02:52 PM

I know this is a very old thread, but I wondered if those using the Brother PQ 1500 with the stitch regulator would come back and tell me how it works when not on a frame? How does the regulator know how fast you are moving the fabric? I just can't visualize this.
Another related question is if I decide to put mine on a frame, what kind is the best as in the easiest for a newbie with no place local to learn? It would all need to be by video or internet sites. I definitely want a stitch regulator to go with it. I don't know enough to even ask decent questions right now.
Old 05-29-2015, 03:24 PM

I have the same exact speed control in the above pix. Speed control and stitch regulator are 2 different things. I use mine with my Elna 7100, which is basically the same as the Brother 1500--is same as Janome 1600 (made by Janome)..I have my speed control taped to the table in front & to right of my machine. As noted, one button just does like one stitch at a time and can be used for drawing up bobbin thread. There's an on off switch, and the speed control button. I started very slowly, but soon increased speed. The only thing I dislike is taking my hand from the quilt to reach the shut off button. Several more stitches are made during that time. I do not have on-button on the machine..just foot pedal, and some days I prefer using that. I do a lot of meandering on charity quilts--if I were doing intricate patterns, then the foot control would be my preference. I bought my Gracie speed control new on ebay for $50 and very pleased with it. OH, and I think it was free shipping, but my memory is a year old, sooooo.......
Old 05-29-2015, 03:59 PM

Ah, thanks. I mixed up the two. I put several layers of cardboard in my foot controller to slow it down and get more control, so I guess that acts as a stitch control for me. I'm looking for a stitch regulator as my stitching is still not even enough. I either need more practice or just bite the bullet and get a frame and regulator.
Old 09-11-2015, 06:14 AM

I also have a brother 1500s which i love, love, love, and i am considering buying a speed control for it also in order to keep the speed at a steady pace for free motion quilting. I was just wondering how it works, i understand that you push a button to start and stop the machine, and how does that work when you are sewing and have to lift your hand to push the button. Seems to me it would be awkward. Any advice from an experienced user. thanks.
Old 09-11-2015, 10:18 AM

I recommend the Yahoo group for that machine. There are a lot of experienced users and resources (such as the service manual) on the site.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/PQ1500/info