do you use your china?

Old 10-26-2011, 07:03 PM

I want to start collecting a china set (Royal Albert Old Country Roses) but am wondering that with inheriting so many china sets (Mom's christmas Spode, grandma's wedding china, grandma's set the she got just because) if it's worth collecting my own set. Of course, I already have a set of everyday dishes but from what I'm reading, it's becoming more normal to use your fancy dishes all the time, not just formal occasions.

Do you guys use your china, let alone have any?
Old 10-26-2011, 07:06 PM

Don't have any and never really wanted any, but I know lots of people that do use it all the time. Good luck on your decision.

We use our "real" china for holidays and birthdays. We have many sets, too....and use whichever one suits our mood. We also have winter/Christmas china that we pack away in the spring and summer months. I am on the look-out for some autumn china, but haven't found any just yet.

I have what I call good china service for 16. Then I have DH's grands Copeland Spode Rosebud Chintz and then three sets of casual dishes. I use the good china at Christmas and Thanksgiving for a big crowd and the Chintz when I'm just having 4 or 5 people over for dinner. Don't use it as much as I should but we aren't big party people. China should be used to prevent crazing.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:07 PM

i have a set of Lambethware by Royal Doulton called Morning Dew which is now discontinued...and i rarely use it....scared to brake a piece
Originally Posted by sarahrachel
I want to start collecting a china set (Royal Albert Old Country Roses) but am wondering that with inheriting so many china sets (Mom's christmas Spode, grandma's wedding china, grandma's set the she got just because) if it's worth collecting my own set. Of course, I already have a set of everyday dishes but from what I'm reading, it's becoming more normal to use your fancy dishes all the time, not just formal occasions.

Do you guys use your china, let alone have any?
Old 10-26-2011, 07:12 PM
Power Poster

I have my mother's that Dad gave her for their 20th wedding anniversary. I use it Christmas morning...we have friends in for a country breakfast.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:12 PM

I have one set of fancy china -- started getting pieces when I got married -- gave DD a set of china from my mom and DS another set from my mom. We use them on special occasions. I have a set of everyday dishes, a set of good casual dishes and some random other pieces. I don't use my good stuff every day because the gold trim is not dishwasher safe. Oh, I also have some Christmas dishes that come out after Thanksgiving.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:15 PM

I have a set of everyday dishes, a service for 16 of "good china", and I have my great grandmother's china. Normally it's the everyday dishes, but once in awhile OTHER than holidays I will serve on the good china. Nonnie's china never gets used...it would break my heart if it got broken!
Old 10-26-2011, 07:18 PM

I have a 12 place settings of good china, crystal & silver that were wedding presents 49 years ago. Only time I use them is for Christmas Eve dinner. That meal is the only one I enjoy cooking every year.

My MIL did lots of entertaining and had, I think, at least 24 place settings of china & silver. My DDs each have 1/2. Theirs' are brought out for birthday & holiday dinners.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:21 PM

What china? Always wanted a set of beautiful china for holidays etc. When I was young there wasn't any money to start a set and now it's too late in life to bother...oh well.
Good luck with your decision.

Kat