Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Flannel quilt with wool batting >

Flannel quilt with wool batting

Flannel quilt with wool batting

Old 10-27-2011, 10:44 AM

So, my hubby is always cold, and I'm thinking of making him a flannel quilt with wool batting. The idea is still sloshing around in my head at the moment, but at the moment I'm thinking of doing something simple, probably a Rail Fence, in 8" blocks with a 6" border.

I've never sewn flannel before, but I've learned here that it shrinks, so I'll wash it as I usually do, and I'll probably use a smaller stitch than my usual 2.5 to prevent fraying and such. I've also never used wool batting, so that will be an adventure. And for the record, I plan to quilt it myself on my DSM.

Any words of advice???

Dorothy
Old 10-27-2011, 10:47 AM
Power Poster

I would heavily starch the flannel before cutting. This stabilizes it so it doesn't stretch and distort with handling.

My method is to "paint" on a 1:1 solution of Sta-Flo and water using a large housepainting brush, toss in dryer, then iron with steam. With this method you can actually do quite intricate piecing because of the stability, but it would help even with larger pieces.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:49 AM
Power Poster

Great idea! I put two battings in mine because I don't have heat in my bedroom. It is nice and warm, but it was a little bit of struggle because of the thickenss. Wool is a better idea!!!
Old 10-27-2011, 10:50 AM

I use QSQ flannel and never have a bit of problem with it, in fact I use it with regular cotton in the same quilt sometimes.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by totosmom
So, my hubby is always cold, and I'm thinking of making him a flannel quilt with wool batting. The idea is still sloshing around in my head at the moment, but at the moment I'm thinking of doing something simple, probably a Rail Fence, in 8" blocks with a 6" border.

I've never sewn flannel before, but I've learned here that it shrinks, so I'll wash it as I usually do, and I'll probably use a smaller stitch than my usual 2.5 to prevent fraying and such. I've also never used wool batting, so that will be an adventure. And for the record, I plan to quilt it myself on my DSM.
If you usually put fabric once through the washer/dryer cycle, plan on putting flannel through the washer/dryer cycle at least twice, if not three times.

Yes, flannel can shrink THAT much.

And if your husband's constant feeling of coldness is of recent onset (last few years or so), consider sending him to the doctor for a thyroid check. One of the commonest symptoms of hypothyroidism (low thyroid function) is constantly feeling chilled.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:57 AM

I just washed a flannel quilt and I am happy to say I experienced no shrinkage. I always use good quality flannel and quarter inch seams. I backed it with flannel and used flannel for binding. I have not had any problem with these quilts shrinking or puckering. I like the feeling of new, smooth, soft fabric in my quilts until I choose to wash them.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:05 AM
Power Poster

please be sure to show us the quilt when you get it done.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:15 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cherylynne
I just washed a flannel quilt and I am happy to say I experienced no shrinkage. I always use good quality flannel and quarter inch seams. I backed it with flannel and used flannel for binding. I have not had any problem with these quilts shrinking or puckering. I like the feeling of new, smooth, soft fabric in my quilts until I choose to wash them.
Mine didn't shrink either, but I was really nervous after reading everything people had said.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Grandma58
I use QSQ flannel and never have a bit of problem with it, in fact I use it with regular cotton in the same quilt sometimes.

QSQ?

Dorothy

ETA: Oh yeah, quilt shop quality. I'm looking at this line from Thousands of Bolts but as always with online ordering, I'm just not sure of the quality.

http://www.thousandsofbolts.com/inde...oduct_ID=41933

D
Old 10-27-2011, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
please be sure to show us the quilt when you get it done.
Oh, it may be a while, bit I'll post a pic.

Dorothy