Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Nov 2011 Weight Loss Adventure winner is susan... >

Nov 2011 Weight Loss Adventure winner is susan...

Nov 2011 Weight Loss Adventure winner is susan...

Old 11-20-2011, 08:48 AM

I made a big decision yesterday so we finally have our Thanksgiving plans made. I will cook a turkey and all the extras on thursday for hubby, son and me. We will drive to Madison on friday to visit our daughter and sil. This way instead of taking along everything to cook a Thanksgiving meal I will only be taking all the ingredients for all of our holiday baking. I hope my daughter doesn't get upset when I tell her - if she ever calls me back.
My son has not gotten airline tickets yet to Korea so I guess that won't be messing up our weekend - whew!
I have been very busy knitting and sewing working on Christmas gifts. I took a knitting class to learn to make mittens. Tomorrow I learn how to sew them together. I have been sewing infinity scarves. They are kind of tricky but fun and fairly quick to make. I got the binding sewn on my wallhanging. I will try to post pictures.
Ethan is having fewer seizures and sleeping better with his new meds but it has turned him into a mini Incredible Hulk. I guess he is jumping on tables, pushing over chairs and pushing over other kids. This from the sweetest, most mild mannered little boy you have ever seen.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:58 AM

oh gosh, I hate what that poor kid is going thru. Good luck on those mittens!
Old 11-20-2011, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Beachbound View Post
oh gosh, I hate what that poor kid is going thru. Good luck on those mittens!
Thanks, Dody. I already have 2 pair knit and ready to be seamed. They are fun to make.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:25 AM

Default thanksgivng plans

We are hoping my brother and his wife make it here by Thursday, not sure if they will probably Friday. THey are moving here and have gotten some things that are delaying them. They will be driving with 3 dogs that are old.

Mom and I have finally figured out exactly what we will be making for our Turkey dinner on Friday. On thursday, we will be going down to the Masonic lodge where dad is a mason to help serve any mason or eastern star member who has no family in the area so they are not alone.

I will also start our holiday baking and candy making. I will be making almond spritz cookies, fudge, peanut butter balls, choc. chip cookies, peanut butter cookies, rock candy, peppermint bark to name a few.

Then we will start our Christmas decorating.

These are some of my plans with the family moving forward. I am in control and will not over eat.
Old 11-20-2011, 12:49 PM

Cindy, you are a strong gal, I think my fingers would be in the dough. We will decorate the tree perhaps on Sunday, early since it is still November, but we bought a pre lit tree 3 years ago so the needle issue isn't a factor any longer. I am getting the point in life where I wish we would just go with a tree on the table instead of this 12 ft monster.
Biscotti is one of my traditional cookies and I also make a cake my mom use to bake called a Poor Man's Cake. It has gum drops, raisins and nuts in it. It is a Poor Man's Cake because there are not eggs or milk in it.
Old 11-20-2011, 01:19 PM

Trust me I am sure I will have my fingers in some of the dough. I love the taste of the almond spritz cookie dough and choc. chip cookie dough. But I will do my best not too. I will be making some of the dough ahead of time and cook later.

Originally Posted by Murphy1 View Post
Cindy, you are a strong gal, I think my fingers would be in the dough. We will decorate the tree perhaps on Sunday, early since it is still November, but we bought a pre lit tree 3 years ago so the needle issue isn't a factor any longer. I am getting the point in life where I wish we would just go with a tree on the table instead of this 12 ft monster.
Biscotti is one of my traditional cookies and I also make a cake my mom use to bake called a Poor Man's Cake. It has gum drops, raisins and nuts in it. It is a Poor Man's Cake because there are not eggs or milk in it.
Old 11-20-2011, 01:23 PM

We'll be putting up a 12 foot monster too but we need to add the lights. I love that tree but it does take about 4 days until it's finished. DH & I were just talking about holiday baking. He has a list of wants but luckily it's shorter than usual. I will be strong and enjoy a bite here &there but not eat just because it's there. Now that there is only 2 of us at home, there just isn't the need to go nuts...other than Christmas Day. oh wait; my son & DIL will be here for a while too...maybe just a little nuts
Old 11-20-2011, 03:34 PM

This is the time of year when we all go nuts. That is why it is a good thing to have this thread to keep us motivated to not over eat. I will say over and over - one bit will taste the same as the second one, so savor just the one.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:00 PM

Default cookie dough

I made a ton of cookies today. We do a non traditional Thanksgiving. My whole family goes and stays in cabins in a state park. We have 9 cabins this year. I think it is 32 people. We hike in the mountains and visit all weekend. The cabins aren't equipped for major coking so we don't do turkey. We do a progressive dinner and walk from cabin to cabin. We have Cincinnati style chili every year. YUM! We have been doing this almost every year for 35 years. It is getting hard for my elderly parents to make it. They are OK this year but we don't know about next. ( dad is 87 and is going downhill) I made 3 kinds of cookies and 3 kinds of bread. I ate a ton of cookie dough. I can stay out of the cookies pretty well but not the dough. I am afraid of the scale this week after all that cookie dough. I will have to work out extra this week. Good luck to everyone this week. We can do it. As long as I don't gain this week I will be happy.
Pat
Old 11-20-2011, 04:40 PM

I've spent the week with the ups and downs. Ups in weight and downs in attitude. I will make it through this holiday season but the weight is driving me crazy. And my blood sugars are staying in the 250s. I think it is the stress because I'm not eating much at all. Maybe my body is in starvation mode. My dh was so worried today he got out everything we eat and checked the sugar and carbohydrates. They did start me on a new insulin, maybe it isn't working? It is free for the next 2 weeks so I can't change right now.

I tried to quilt yesterday and the darn quilt fell apart. I used Dritz basting spray and evidently didn't use enough or something. It felt stuck together, after one seam the whole thing went waving in the wind. I want to have this done Wednesday...I also have a little writing projects to do tomorrow. I have 16 products reviews to write for Amazon. That will take me all day.

Stick with your program. In the craziness of the holidays our sanity is structure and reason. Make a plan for yourself, even if it is to eat all the cookie dough you can, then forgive yourself and enjoy what you can. We can work hard the rest of the days and will lose the weight.