Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sweatshirt turn jacket >

Sweatshirt turn jacket

Sweatshirt turn jacket

Old 11-01-2011, 01:52 PM

Default Sweatshirt turn jacket

I saw a lady wearing a sweatshirt that she made into a jacket. She had took off the neck line and cut the sweatshirt down the middle and made it into a jacket. and quilted the pockets and other details on it Could someone tell me if there is a pattern on how to do it. Or tell me what to put in the search engine to tell how to make it.
Thanks
Nell
Old 11-01-2011, 01:55 PM

Google sweatshirt jacket
Old 11-01-2011, 02:21 PM

There's a tutorial done by ugly cook here on the board. I've made a few over the past 2 years. They are fun and easy (and so soft to work with too!)
Old 11-01-2011, 02:24 PM
ro
Banned

i believe the name of the pattern is from "moonlight design" and the lady's name is gerri. i did 2 jackets w/her patterns and love each one.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:51 PM

I have made several sweatshiet jackets that I have measured the exact center of the front and cut it, scarry at first. I have embroidered on them with different designs. A larger one on the upper back and smaller ones on upper front and/or, down the front. I will use binding to cover the raw edges oe surge them and fold toward the inside and do button holes on one side. I don't cut off the neck or cuffs that often. I have cut off the bottom edge so that the jacket didn't hug as tight.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:55 PM

I have done a couple of sweatshirts made into jackets. I cut them apart, taking off the cuffs (I make sure I buy a size larger and with ample sleeve length) and cut it up the center. I lay it on backing and machine quilt all over it. (I have a long arm, but my friend did the same on a DSM). After its quilted, I trim the backing and sew it back together. I used a binding like a quilt binding. I have people ask me where I got my jackets and are floored when tell them it started life as a sweatshirt. One I had with sleeves too short, I added fabric on the end and folded it up. It looks like a cuff, but only I know that the sweatshirt sleeve is not under the cuff! Its extra fabric!
Old 11-01-2011, 05:17 PM

There are some patterns on Nancy's Notions -- Mary Mulari I believe is the one who has done many of the designs. I think there is a DVD there as well.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:41 PM

I have made some of these and have the following recommendation...to cut down the middle, first draw a line down the center of sweatshirt, sew stay-stitching on each side of line and then cut apart on the line. If taking off neck line or bottom of sweatshirt, I also stay stitch before cutting off, it keeps the sweatshirt from stretching out of shape.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:57 PM

Can some direct me to Uglycooks posts or what ever on here. I tried to email her but it said she exceeded her message quotes. And dont know how to look for it myself. Sorry.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:58 PM

Where is craftybear I miss her links she give us