Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt shop question - unrealistic expectations? >

Quilt shop question - unrealistic expectations?

Quilt shop question - unrealistic expectations?

Old 11-01-2011, 03:41 PM

Default Quilt shop question - unrealistic expectations?

Recently while working on all of my star quilts, I have been to all of my local quilt shops. One is a bit cold and unfriendly no end of the bolt discounts, another one can not cut 6" of fabric, this measurement is not programmed into the computer, not can they hold a bolt while I am consulting with my customers about specific colors. The last one has the least for selection but a good selection, they can cut any size I want and hold the bolt until I know for sure. There is a small perturbed part of me that wants to call my use to be favorite shop and tell them you just lost a good 1000. to 1200. in sales all because I can not buy 6" of fabric and it is to inconvenient for you to hold fabric. I should mention I do not need to shop in any of these stores as I can buy wholesale. I doubt I will call them, but I would love feedback. Am I being unrealistic?
Old 11-01-2011, 05:19 PM

If you were asking them to hold a bolt for a month, then I would say you are asking too much. But for a day or two, if you are a regular customer, I think it's a reasonable request.

I can understand their policy of cutting in 1/8 yard increments. Could you take 9" (1/4 yd) instead of 6"?
Old 11-01-2011, 05:27 PM

Your a customer so you should be able to send them positive or negative feedback, if I was a regular customer and they told me they couldn't hold it for a couple of hours I wouldn't be doing repeat business with them. It's not like someone is going to rush in and buy the bolt of fabric within an hour or two.

At my LQS I always try and give positive feedback to the shop owner about classes I take there, the various teachers, etc She has class survey forms but it's not the same thing as having her regular people tell her that the staff is doing a great job. Feedback is everything in business especially now with so much online buying.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:29 PM

I often ask myself the same question, but usually say nothing.

To be honest, I would leave it- just take your business elsewhere. They have made a decision not to sell what you want to buy and I guess they did that consciously. (I think they are nuts, but it is their business and if they dont want to sell what you want to buy, then they have to take the hit on the lost sale.) They probably won't change and sometimes you just have to let annoying things be!

Its great you found a store than can supply what you need!

Last edited by noveltyjunkie; 11-01-2011 at 05:32 PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:29 PM

My sister owns a shop and goes out of her way to mention that she will cut small amounts of fabric and she is also willing to hold items for a time. Both sides in a business deal need to have some give and take but it sounds like the one shop was being a little on the stingy side to me.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:37 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
Default Why waste your time..

If they are that snotty I cant imagine they would change because someone made mention.. Id shop opnline or to the one with the excellent service..
Old 11-01-2011, 05:48 PM
Power Poster

I think I would be more upset about them not holding the bolt than I would be about selling me 6". I understand that they have computerized inventory and thats the reason for selling 9" vs. 6". Really is that a huge problem for you? But being a regular customer, they should hold the bolt for you if you only need them to do so for a day or so. Now.. a month...thats another issue.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:32 PM

I probably wouldn't call but if you don't have to go there then don't. They don't really sound that customer oriented. When a business wants peoples business they try to accommodate as much as possible. If they really wanted your business they could have said we can try to hold for you for one night, but only if you left a number for them to call incase someone came in and wanted the same fabric. With a number they could have called and said we have someone here who wants this fabric also about how much would you need or have you decided if you want it. That way they wouldn't have to worry about loosing a sale.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:04 AM

I wouldn't shop at the shop that wouldn't accommodate you. The shop where I frequent will even cut a fat quarter off a bolt it that is
what you need. They simply put the other half of the fat quarter on the shelf. I've never asked them to hold anything, but I'm sure
that they would.
Sue
Old 11-02-2011, 05:14 AM

I would let her know. With the world economy as bad as it is and LQS's closing all the time this may be the time to get a message across.