Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How long to learn on your longarm? >

How long to learn on your longarm?

How long to learn on your longarm?

Old 11-02-2011, 06:41 AM

Default How long to learn on your longarm?

I am new to the board although I have been lurking for about a year. I have had a longarm for about 6 months and have done several practice quilts as well as about 14 quilts ranging from baby quilts to queen size. I still cannot feel confident about free motion. Design boards and pantographs are good now. I have been practicing feathers lately.
What has been your experience?
Old 11-02-2011, 10:03 AM

i am still learning my long arm also i watch alot of you tube videos and it has helped me with my free motions
Old 11-02-2011, 10:32 AM

I will attempt my first post with the new format, I dislike change, at least not for the better. Anyway, I have had a longarm for about 14 months and am still learning. I haven't done as many quilts as you have. I definitely would not feel confident to do any free motion. I use pantos and have decided I will never be a gifted quilter just an adequate quilter, good enough for my family. I have lowered my expectations of myself and am OK with what I have done so far. I don't plan to quilt for anyone other than family so that takes a lot of the pressure off.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:59 AM

Not every one is an art quilter-no shame in that.I am not an artistic quilter.I can stipple and swirl like crazy-looks great on most quilts.I can panto for a classier look.Pantos can look awesome too.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:20 AM

I am also comfortable with pantographs. I feel that they give me good results. I can do a few all over designs, but prefer the pantographs. I have had my machine for 5 months so I guess we are about in the same time frame. I am quilting for others, but will only do pantos at this time.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:24 AM

I have had a longarm for several years and just now getting where I can do designs. I find meandering or stippling the easiest. Haven't done a panto so may need to do one and see what I think.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:32 AM

Thanks for the encouragement. I have also tried rulers and finally used spray baste on them and wow, that really works better. I have been told about all the practice needed. I guess everyone goes at their own pace.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:40 AM

My fabulous Mentor, who is arguably the queen of longarming in her area (She's also a dealer), says that she never does freehand other than stippling. Ever. For any reason. She only does pantographs, stencils, or stippling & SID. She's been doing this for years, has a waitlist as long as my arm, and everybody's thrilled. I've already started working on freehand stuff from the front of the machine, because I really enjoy it. Don't beat yourself up if it's not something you're comfortable with - you can be successful without ever being comfortable with it. I promise you - it'll be fine. Don't sweat this
Old 11-02-2011, 12:00 PM

It depends on how much time you spend "practicing", what your natural abilities are (you can practice drawing your designs on paper or acrylic), and what you actually try to do. There are many different techniques to learn.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:37 PM

I think with anything you need to be relaxed and not worry. Someone on another thread a while back suggested a glass of wine before starting. Hope you feel comfortable soon.