Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How long to learn on your longarm? >

How long to learn on your longarm?

How long to learn on your longarm?

Old 11-02-2011, 12:48 PM

I often just put on scrap pieces that I find at thrift shops, and leftover batting and just do a practice piece. After I'm done with them if they arent good enought to make something(like a purse or a pillow) I cut them up into 12 inch blocks for cleaning around the house. They are good for dusting and mopping with an old swiffer sweeper, you know the manual kind, no tank. When I first started doing this I would date the piece with marker so I could see my progess. Watch videos on youtube, theres tons of advice on there. Good luck and have fun, its just like when you first rode a bike, you had to keep at it before you could get good at it, but once you learn, you just jump right back on like you never left.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:43 PM
Power Poster

It's funny how we all approach longarming differently. I've had mine for about 21 months now, and I have not done any pantos. That just doesn't appeal to me. I think they look fine, but I'm not interested in following the lines. I do everything freehand - feathers, swirls, leaves, etc. - and recently started doing some ruler work. And yet I am feeling just as you, that I am in a rut and need to improve my skills. I'd like to have more designs in my repertoire, and I'd like to do more controlled designs. I decided that for the next year I will be concentrating more on the longarm. I know that the main rule is PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE. I just bought several books on longarming techniques, and I'm going to go through and see what I can use from them. Then I'm thinking about taking some classes, either at quilt shows or online. I don't longarm for others, just for myself and comfort quilts for the guilds, so the problem will be getting enough tops made to practice on. (Yeah, I know you can use a quilt sandwich made from cheater cloth or solid fabric or just about anything, and I will do so, but there's still something different about practicing on pieced tops.)
Old 11-02-2011, 06:43 PM

I've had my LA for about 4 mos. and I do alot of stippling. I use stencils when doing feathers. My freehanding looks good on my practice pieces but when doing it on a real top, I guess my nerves gets the best of me because my spacing is off. So I'll stick with the stencils. I haven't tried pantos or groovy board yet. But I'm going to give it a shot on my next practice piece. I have the Baptist fan groovy board and some free pantos.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:46 PM

Great comments! Thanks. I agree that it is hard to find enough tops that are not cheater cloth and such. I have done baby quilts pieced by friends for our local health clinics, but otherwise I have to piece my own. I want to be at it all day if there were enough time! I have watched classes online and then of coarse want to buy something to do what I just watched someone doing. I have been asked to longarm for others, but am not nearly confident enough to do that.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:22 AM

Hi, just reading all the posts about LA. I've had mine now for about 1 1/2 yrs. I like it/hate it/love it. I started out with a Qbot on mine because it was a store demo machine. It's a Tin Lizzy. I started out making sandwiches then marking on the sandwich what, how, size/pattern I used, I had a horrible time for months, First the Qbot was something to get use to also, so I wasn't having much fun. No one close to ask for help. I just kept going little by little until I could program in the designs from Qbot and also add designs to Qbot. I also bought 4DQD Creator software, that was another $500. but I had been going great it and realized I needed it for changing design sizing
for EE, blocks and so on. It was the best thing I ever did. I buy designs from Apricot Moon.com that she makes Qbot ready I just download them and their ready to load on Qbot. Her design are $10.00 from what I've bought from Peggy also there are many elsewhere that are 50.00/100's of dollars, which I have too but got them at 90% off sale. Having the 4DQD Creator makes it easy to change your designs to the type your machine can use or patterns you buy from companies that are't compatible. I taught my sister in law to work my LA and she caught on faster that I did because I had no one showing me what to do or how things worked. That's all it takes.
After all that practice I finally caught on but do only my own too. It was to be a business too. No way would I want to mess up someones work of art. Even now I know I can do it on all mine but if the tension messes up you have to remove those stitches and start where it messed up. Not easy!! If had it to do over again, I would have shopped around more, took classes, get to know which machines & how they work. My Tin Lizzy LS is wonderful and does beautiful work. I have never done FM with my TL machine, My daughter did & it was beautiful & on my machine.
jigs1354

Originally Posted by An Arm Long View Post
I am new to the board although I have been lurking for about a year. I have had a longarm for about 6 months and have done several practice quilts as well as about 14 quilts ranging from baby quilts to queen size. I still cannot feel confident about free motion. Design boards and pantographs are good now. I have been practicing feathers lately.
What has been your experience?
Old 12-09-2011, 11:13 AM

Patience, my dear! I ha a Tin Lizzie about 10 months and got to know how to handle it very well--then I sold it and bought a APQS and got that one maonth ago today. It was almost like starting over--because every machine is different and even having the handles be different is a different feel. I have done about 6 quilts now and am feelign pretty good about the feel of it. But it definintely takes practice. I watched lots of You-Tubes on feathers and then I practiced alot on old nespapers and then on material and now I can do them well. I always doodle designs on old newspapers to practice new (or my regular) designs. I use a black permanent marker and hold it up vertically so it mimics teh quilting machine and I practice. I do this before every quilt I do. I simply practice teh design a little bit on the newspaper to get the feel of the design and to get the size of te design I want. I only do freehand and custom work. I feel Pantos are hard and I have yet to take the time to practice doing those. Good luck
Old 12-09-2011, 11:17 AM

I guess that I go along in life with the idea that you never stop learning. There are always new techniques, new tools, new gotta haves...that's what makes life interesting. I love my long-arm. But at first I was terrified of it. It probably took me a couple of months to even get up the courage to actually use it. I've taken classes from the best of the best and all of them tell you to simply just go for it...you can do it.
I've had my long-arm for 7 years and I hope that I never stop learning. It is so much fun!
Old 12-09-2011, 05:12 PM
Power Poster

Whiteboard and markers-draw, draw, draw.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:33 PM
Power Poster

even quilters who have been doing it for 10-20 years are still learning- every quilt is a new experience- with it's own (personality) and we always learn something with the process- if it was just (old hat) it would be factory work- and no fun any more- relax- practice- try new things- it is supposed to be enjoyable- so do what you enjoy- and work to get as good as you can at what you like- then learn something new and keep practicing it is always good to learn new techniques- new designs- new ways to do things-...be adventurous- don't spend all your time doing other people's designs- try new things ---it is nothing to fear---what's the worst thing that can happen? you quilt a quilt you are not totally happy with---not the end of the world- just incentive to do something different= learn from it and move on- don't take it so seriously- it's supposed to be fun
Old 12-09-2011, 05:58 PM

Where do you find "free" pantos?
Originally Posted by bjeriann View Post
I've had my LA for about 4 mos. and I do alot of stippling. I use stencils when doing feathers. My freehanding looks good on my practice pieces but when doing it on a real top, I guess my nerves gets the best of me because my spacing is off. So I'll stick with the stencils. I haven't tried pantos or groovy board yet. But I'm going to give it a shot on my next practice piece. I have the Baptist fan groovy board and some free pantos.