Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
May I Have Your Opinion Please. >

May I Have Your Opinion Please.

May I Have Your Opinion Please.

Old 11-02-2011, 03:19 PM

Default May I Have Your Opinion Please.

Came home today to find my fridge had quit I just bought it in 2007 !! It was a Woods all fridge and I just loved it!
Well we are in the market for a fridge and a stove too..I think I will get a fridge with the freezer on the bottom but I am not sure of a stove. Have any of you the flat topped stove.(sorry don't know the proper name) Can you do pickling and preserves on it? Do you need new pots for it or can you use your regular ones? Do you need to use any special cleaning product on the glass top? Sorry for all the questions but I really don't know anythin g about that type of stove.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:21 PM
Power Poster

I don't have one, but I know my sister just finished canning and she used her flat stove.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:24 PM

I don't know about the glass cooktop stoves but I LOVE my freezer-on-the-bottom fridge.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:54 PM

I have a glass stove top. You can use your regular pots and pans as long as they are flat on the bottom. You cannot use a real abrasive cleaner and they do have recommendations, but I use what I have and it has been fine. You can do anything with this stove top that you can do with the others. I wanted electric and I liked the look of the smooth top.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:01 PM

I just bought a new side by side refrigerator and a glass top stove. Had to buy the smaller refrig to fit in the space that I had and wish it was bigger, not alot of room in either side of it. The stove I like, my husband is a great one for boiling things over and I would always have a mess to clean up a couple of days later cause he wouldn't tell me about his goofs. Now he has to clean the stove as he can't hid his mistakes.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae View Post
I don't have one, but I know my sister just finished canning and she used her flat stove.
Thank you so much....I do can and pickle and if I thought that I couldn't with the glass top I would go the burner route.....thank you!!!
Old 11-02-2011, 04:10 PM

I had a glass top stove for about three months, I hated it. It seems like it took for ever for it to heat up. I finally told my husband to take it back and get me one with the regular electric coil burners. So much better now.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Greenheron View Post
I don't know about the glass cooktop stoves but I LOVE my freezer-on-the-bottom fridge.
Thank you..I got used to my all fridge and hate to bend down with the freezer on the top!
Old 11-02-2011, 04:12 PM
Power Poster

Glass tops are pretty good, much easier to clean. The only one I know of that needs special pans is the "induction cooktops". When we were buying our new stove, the guy at the appliance centre told us the "induction cooktops" do need the special pans and they also use a lot of extra electricity. We ended up with a glass top and are very happy with it.

As for fridges, I had an upside down fridge from Philips....best fridge/freezer combination I have had. Very deep drawers and very efficient. The only reason I don't have it now is that it was a small model....when I remarried I gained an extra 4 people (husband and his three boys) so we needed a bigger one.

Last edited by earthwalker; 11-02-2011 at 04:15 PM.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:14 PM
dd

I bought an electric stove with regular coil burners because I like my cast iron skillets. I was afraid of dropping it one day and breaking that glass top. I specifically asked the salesman and he said yes they will break and cast iron is just the thing to do it. My thing is the ovens never heat evenly.