Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
May I have your opinions please? >

May I have your opinions please?

May I have your opinions please?

Old 07-05-2017, 08:34 PM

Default May I have your opinions please?

For years I have suffered with either "driver's arm" or "passenger's arm". You who tend to sunburn will know what I am talking about. No matter which arm it is, if you are on a car trip of any length, the arm facing the window always gets either a bad sunburn, or it tans much more than the other side. After a trip through the Mohave Desert in August one year and a severe sun burn I will never forget, I decided I had to do something about the problem. At first I just carried a hand towel to lay over my arm, and that did work pretty good until the day I dozed off and it blew out the window without the driver noticing. I tried leaving a "hoodie" on the back of the seat, for when needed until the beginning of summer this year, when I reached for it and got a face full of road dust. (Bleah!)
Today I sat down to design the answer. This first one is made of some prequilted fabric scraps I had (and a couple appliqués to satisfy my quilter's heart), I might just sell the pattern, but if I decide to sell the design, I will use a lighter weight, UV resistant fabric for comfort. What do you think? I made it one size fits all. It fits nice and loose, but allows for air circulation. It is also easy on, easy off with hook and loop tape.

I now present "The Car Sleeve".
Do you think there would be any interest?
Attached Thumbnails img_0031.jpg  

Last edited by madamekelly; 07-05-2017 at 08:39 PM.
Old 07-05-2017, 09:08 PM
Power Poster

Looks like it will work. I keep a man's extra large long sleeve white shirt handy for summer sun. I bought a nice one at Value Village on 50% day. I even use it for a cover up when I swim in the lake so I don't burn to a crisp.
Old 07-06-2017, 02:35 AM
Power Poster

it's a very clever idea. i don't think i'd buy it, though.
Old 07-06-2017, 03:16 AM

Nice idea but the strap around the neck would bother me.
Old 07-06-2017, 03:21 AM

It's a clever idea, but I don't think that men would wear it.
Old 07-06-2017, 04:41 AM

Clever solution, but I agree with the others. I have fair skin & a very long commute by any standards outside of LA, DC or Chicago (50-60 minutes one way during non-rush hour with good weather, up to 2.5 hours one way if there is bad weather & accidents), so I was getting way too much sun on my left arm. My solution? Apply sunscreen with zinc oxide in it to my left arm (and, of course, my face). I need the sunscreen for my face anyways & it doesn't take that much more to apply some on my arm during warm months when I'm wearing short sleeves.

The two primary issues that would keep me from buying your sleeve are: (1) there is no protection for the hand, so I would end up with a glove-like sunburn on my left hand, and (2) I would worry about whether it might be uncomfortable to be moving my arm around with that loop around my neck. The second one may be an unfounded worry, but it was the first thing that came to mind. I suppose since it's not actually holding the arm up, that wouldn't be a problem (maybe?), but visually it reminds me of a sling and I remember how uncomfortable that was for my neck.

I do agree that if you find a market somewhere for this item, it needs to be made in a non-quilted material & without applique to keep it as lightweight as possible, and in a light color to reflect away as much heat as possible.
Old 07-06-2017, 05:58 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Maureen NJ View Post
Nice idea but the strap around the neck would bother me.
........ and combining that with the discomfort we already have from a lot of the seat belts, I am not drawn to it.

Another concern I would have would be any safety hazards it may create if wearing while driving.
Not saying it would, but it definitely comes to mind.

Yet, I am one of the fair-skinned-easy-to-burn people of the world,
so I applaud you for trying to come up with a solution.

Good Luck ... as great inventions start in just this same manner.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:54 AM

Clever idea- my arms have been permanently different shades since my 20's (I drive, so my left arm is darker). I don't think I would use this, though... It would collect dust just like the hoodie in your car did, and only serves one purpose. I use heavy sunscreen and always bring a long-sleeved shirt or light jacket. This way I'm ready to deal with the sun even when I finally get out of the car, not just when I'm driving.

I've also tried wearing just one sleeve of a light jacket, but found that my other arm (both sleeveless, and out of the sun) got cold. I suspect this would create the same problem.

Long story short, I think the market would be limited, but that certainly doesn't mean nonexistent. If I were you, I would consider putting the pattern up for sale on Craftsy. That way you don't have to invest in materials, production or shipping- just write up a digital pattern, and see how it goes!
Old 07-06-2017, 09:16 AM
Power Poster

ha, ha. you know, that's not a bad idea. You might have started something!
Old 07-06-2017, 11:40 AM

Thank you for all your input. You have given me plenty to think about.