Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I may be revamping pattern storage? Your opinions appreciated.

Question I may be revamping pattern storage? Your opinions appreciated.

I've been quilting for about 24 years and over the course of time I have accumulated many, many patterns. About 17 years ago, I went to the binder method for storing my patterns. Putting the pattern in the sheet protector and then putting the sheet protector in the appropriate binder. I probably have about 20+ binders.

About every 2 years or so, I would go through each binder and purge any patterns that no longer appealed to me.

Last night I was thinking about the storage method that I currently use and if there was a way to improve upon it. Something I am considering is scanning in each of the patterns that I want to keep and storing them digitally. I would then give away or recycle the hard copies.

I could then just bring up the pattern digitally and work off the electronic device, or if I really felt I needed a hard copy I could print it out. Yes, I would have a back-up in case my device crashes.

Has anyone done this? How did it work for you? Are you regretting your decision?

TIA for your reply.

I store most of my patterns digitally. Most were downloaded from a website. Many I copied from a website, pasted into a word document and edited to make it a smaller file(cut unnecessary pictures, reduced sizes of pictures, etc). A bit of work but I find if you bookmark a web page it could(and probably will) disappear over time.
    I do have a supply of many years of various quilting magazines. I started scanning and saving patterns from them digitally but find it slow and a little difficulty with some magazines whose page sizes are borderline too big. I'll never be able to make all the patterns I've saved so may stop scanning and just pass the magazines on to others.
    I think download, editing or scanning is the same or less time than the printing and organizing in binders, although I've never done that. Also digitizing means no paper use or storage until you really decide to make a pattern.
    Sally

I store almost all my patterns electronically. I have folders set up and file them so I can find them again plus it lets me search. I have them stored in Notability which is Cloud based application that will synchronize across all my devices and is backed up. I mostly buy or save electronic files so it’s easy to store them there and than I can print if I want to. I have an iPad that I pull the pattern up on when quilting so I don’t normally print.

I would rather have a hard copy of the pattern as opposed to taking up all the needed space on my computer. Yes...I'm always different...LOL

I'm thinking about storing them on my google drive. Then I can access them from whatever device I decide to use.

I have patterns stored digitally with back up and only print the ones that I plan to make. So far two binders arranged by strip, charms, etc
    GrannyLady - Having too much fun dressing my grandaughters.

I too store mine on my computer and only make hard copies if I am going to make them at that time. Works great for me.

Blog Entries
    At Annie's there is the Pattern Keeper Organizer. Some nice boxes that are just the right size for patterns. I have 3 partially filled. Very handy.

To store a paper pattern electronically do you scan and then save to a word document ?

Quote Originally Posted by luvrazz View Post
    To store a paper pattern electronically do you scan and then save to a word document ?
    Yes, this is how to store paper patterns.
    Sally

Quote Originally Posted by luvrazz View Post
    a word document or a PDF

I have both paper and electronic pattern files - I find the electronic ones more organized. My intent is/was to scan my paper copies and then have only electronic files but I haven't made the time yet to do this.
    I do find that I rarely print an electronic pattern file, I usually email to myself and then open on my tablet. Sometimes I'll print the cutting instructions page (only) so I can mark off as I cut.
    A husband is the perfect confidant to tell your secrets to - he can't reveal them to anyone else because he wasn't really listening when you told him!

Quote Originally Posted by selm View Post
    Yes, this is how to store paper patterns.
    I scan and save as a PDF. The thumbnails come up as pictures so I know what the quilt looks like. Names can be deceiving
    GrannyLady - Having too much fun dressing my grandaughters.

Quote Originally Posted by lindaschipper View Post
    I would rather have a hard copy of the pattern as opposed to taking up all the needed space on my computer. Yes...I'm always different...LOL
    makes 2 of us !

Quote Originally Posted by tranum View Post
    makes 2 of us !
    Well lets change that to 3! (grin) I just find it less of a hassle to have the paper pattern and not mess with the IT stuff. I only have one binder but its a large one with individual patterns and I do have a few years of quilting magazines. Enough of them that they are new to me when I look through them again. I no longer subscribe to all of the magazines I once did but I still have one coming that will expire this year. I really don't think I'll continue taking it. I've enough patterns on hand to keep me busy forever! Love looking at the new ones though. Eye candy!
    SEW MUCH FUN!

If I got a pattern in digital form to start with it's in a folder on my computer and backed up on an external hard drive. I would rather be quilting than spending time scanning patterns, so unless space is critical, the printed ones stay in their binders. I've reached an age where I recognize there's no way I'll ever get everything made that I've accumulated, but I still enjoy having lots of options to leaf through, so they will continue to be stored for now.
    True self-care is not salt baths and chocolate cake, it is making the choice to build a life you don’t need to regularly escape from. ~Brianna Wiest

I'm a very tactile person. I like to hold the pattern. flip through magazines and read a book made from paper. I find that anything that I store digitally is out of sight, out of mind.

Blog Entries
    I really enjoy looking at the patterns I save in binders and I love books. I do need to go through and get rid of some that no longer inspire me. I have no desire to put them on my computer but that is just me and 3 other quilters here. lol��
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

We are in the digital age. Only way to go!
    Harriet
    https://www.facebook.com/Thelaststitch
    Handi Quilter International Educator

Blog Entries
    Personally, I like the binder method the best. I like to look through them for instant inspiration. Unless you are really diligent doing the scanning and sorting and storing, you will never see or look at them again. I pull my books out and everything is right there to compare side by side. When they are "stored" you can't look at several at one time to use for picking and choosing.

recipes are the same way. They are right there in my kitchen. Opening and closing files on the PC is just not the same and takes more time, IMHO. I am sure there are more PC savvy people out there that love storing everything on their PC and it works well for them. I think I am old school. I like maps too, LOL.
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

I'm not very savvy in this computer-driven world but I always worry what will the technology be like in 10 years when I want to restore one of the patterns. Guess I'm old-fashioned! I would keep the hard copies.

I keep most of mine in 3 binders with protective sleeves. These are purchased patterns or ones torn out of magazines. I go through them on a regular basis.

I get many free patterns online. I put those in a folder in my computer sorted by type. Patriotic----kids---and hearts which are made for a specific charity, I never print then out. I send them to my Ipad and work off that.

I have decided to no longer purchase PDFs as the ink is pricey and they are often just as expensive as the paper ones they could mail to me. I would rather pay a little postage.

I keep my free patterns on my computer because they are downloaded. I store my paper patterns in binders. I am not sure about how copyright stuff works but I think scanning is like making xerox copies so I have hesitated. Since I am always misplacing the binder or pattern I am working on, keeping everything on the computer would keep me from having to buy a new copy of a pattern when the one I started with starts playing hide and seek.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

What do you use to scan them? I find scanning is a very slow process. Any hints on making it faster?
    Cindy B from MA

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1 View Post
    I keep my free patterns on my computer because they are downloaded. I store my paper patterns in binders. I am not sure about how copyright stuff works but I think scanning is like making xerox copies so I have hesitated. Since I am always misplacing the binder or pattern I am working on, keeping everything on the computer would keep me from having to buy a new copy of a pattern when the one I started with starts playing hide and seek.
    scanning or xeroxing/copying for your own personal use does not violate the copyright. you just can't distribute or publish them.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast