Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
May I Have Your Opinion Please. >

May I Have Your Opinion Please.

May I Have Your Opinion Please.

Old 11-03-2011, 04:49 PM

The last time I looked (which was quite a long time ago) the electric ranges came in either 110 or 220 volt. If they still do, make sure you either have a 220 outlet where you want the range, or make sure you get a model with a 110.

We just got a freezer on the bottom earlier this year, it also has the double top doors. LOVE IT!!
Old 11-03-2011, 08:32 PM

I wouldn't swap my bottom freezer for anything and I love my glass top stove.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by ChaiQuilter View Post
It's only 4 years old and it quit? I would call the manufacturer and ask for the Office of the President, and then carry on until I got a replacement. They don't want bad publicity on your blog, do they??
They are no longer in business Or I would have done just that.....the company is a long standing one in making freezers , I remember my Mom having a Wood's freezer and nothing ever went wrong with that for well over 20 years!!
Old 11-04-2011, 11:36 AM

[I] would love to have a bottom freezer but no room for it in my kitchen and they are much more expensive. I love my ceramic top stove. I do routine canning on it (water bath) but the manufacturer told me NOT to use my pressure cooker on it. I go over to my son's to do the pressure cooker. I use my cast iron on my stove all the time. Just don't slide it across the glass. I use the cleaner recommended or Soft Scrub and a razor blade to gently scrape the boiled over junk. I also use a fine grade sanding block to get the usual splatters off. My stove is 12 years old and looks like new. I would not go back to the coil top for anything!
Old 11-04-2011, 01:47 PM

I have a freezer on the bottom and hate it. In order to use all of the space you have to stack things on top of other things. Because you are looking down on the freezer it is difficult to see what you have and also difficult to access items. Never again.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Sassylass View Post
Came home today to find my fridge had quit I just bought it in 2007 !! It was a Woods all fridge and I just loved it!
Well we are in the market for a fridge and a stove too..I think I will get a fridge with the freezer on the bottom but I am not sure of a stove. Have any of you the flat topped stove.(sorry don't know the proper name) Can you do pickling and preserves on it? Do you need new pots for it or can you use your regular ones? Do you need to use any special cleaning product on the glass top? Sorry for all the questions but I really don't know anythin g about that type of stove.
If you still have room for another opinion....
LOVE my on-the-bottom fridge.
Wouldn't have anything other than a gas stove. Best for canning. The glass top ones (my mother has one) scare me. Too easy to set your hand on it after it was turned off, but not cooled yet.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:21 AM

Thank you all..you have been a great help.
I did get the fridge with the freezer on the bottom..don't have an opinion of that as of yet...
I have a glass top stove,only to find out I can't/shouldn't use my vision ware on it. It is also has a converction oven which I am totally in love with!! I made chocolate chunk cookies and bran muffins and I am impressed with that....so far.
It will be a learning time for me..but that will be ok..one is never too old to learn. ..I hope!!!
Old 11-06-2011, 11:29 AM

Ive had my glass cooktop for 8 years and love it. No, no special cookware. I use Calphalon, Pyrex double boiler and my Nana's old cast iron frypan. I use a product found in the cleaning aisle of the grocery store to clean it....kind of like waxing a car. One warning.....my sister in law had a spice shelf above hers - one bottle dropped and cracked the stove. Also, you should not be in the habit of sliding pots and pans across it because that will cause small scratches. My frige is a side by side and suits our needs perfectly. We also have an upright freezer in the pantry.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:18 AM

I ended up with a glass top stove and a fridge with the freezer on the bottom and so far love them both!! The stove has a convection oven and I am having fun cooking with that!!