Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fun & Done >

Fun & Done

Fun & Done

Old 03-03-2009, 09:09 AM
Power Poster

Maybe it is me, but I am thinking if you wanted to reverse the sashing to the back, wouldn't you just reverse the sizing of the bocks? Maybe not since the drag on the backing would occur while the flip sewing happened. I would say then, just make the front and backing the same size, cut the backing to the smaller size when you are finished, then meet the fronts together and sew the seam,and hem the way they say to the back. Am I right? I am dizzy just typing this. My abstract reasoning is really bad, girls. LoL!
Old 03-03-2009, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by kd124
Butterflywing- I reread my post and it sounded kind of confusing. It's like kankan01 said about the backing coming to the front and making a sashing. The back is a solid piece of fabric (that needs to coordinate with the front) I finished one just before the New Year and ended up liking the back better--that is why I want to figure out a way to make it so the front doesn't have sashing. Does that make sense?

The template just makes it easy to center the batting. I didn't use it to cut the back or batting
kd124 - LOL! okay! now i don't understand. is this it? you're making blocks and you like the back better than the front. right? so the back IS the front. right? can you just do sayg's that are all the same on both sides? that way you'll end up with 2 fronts. right? is that it? to end up with two right sides? and eliminate the sashing altogether.

do i have that right? LOL! LOL!!

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Old 03-03-2009, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222
Maybe it is me, but I am thinking if you wanted to reverse the sashing to the back, wouldn't you just reverse the sizing of the bocks? Maybe not since the drag on the backing would occur while the flip sewing happened. I would say then, just make the front and backing the same size, cut the backing to the smaller size when you are finished, then meet the fronts together and sew the seam,and hem the way they say to the back. Am I right? I am dizzy just typing this. My abstract reasoning is really bad, girls. LoL!
I don't think it would work to turn a pieced block to the back and form a sashing out of it. It would have seams in it and wouldn't turn under nice. The Georgia Bonesteel method has no sashing. You should check it out.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:27 AM

I have a couple of blocks done really quickly on this fun and done but it would not let me put the pics in here. Making a New Topic - Fun & Done Pic
Old 03-03-2009, 10:42 AM

I think I found out how to get them here!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-29593.jpe   attachment-29596.jpe   attachment-29599.jpe  
Old 03-03-2009, 10:50 AM

ok Got the pictures in here now!Here is what I did with some scraps for the string and a Bow Tie block I have been doing. I put the "string' one on like they had in the Fun & Done video. The Bow Tie block was already made so I just handquilted it to the batting and backing. I cut the back an inch bigger than my 12 inch block all the way around (14 inch block!)
PLEASE DO NOT LOOK AT MY STITCHING!!!!!
I can do better but was in a hurry to get this so I could show!!!
Mary
Old 03-03-2009, 10:58 AM

redgarnet222--that is pretty much what I was thinking. Thanks.

butterflywing--On the one I did last, the front is flip and sew and makes a pattern. The back is 1 piece of fabric per block. See redgarnet222's post above, that is what I want to do.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222
wait. wait. if you wanted to reverse the sashing to the back, wouldn't you just do the same basic thing and switch the colors to suit you, and call the 'front' the 'back'? do you want to have the 'back' fabric in the window, with the feature fabric as the flap-over? this is why i'm not a nuclear physicist. LOL! :oops: :oops: :oops: (this is me feeling dopey)
Old 03-03-2009, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by mkanderson
ok Got the pictures in here now!Here is what I did with some scraps for the string and a Bow Tie block I have been doing. I put the "string' one on like they had in the Fun & Done video. The Bow Tie block was already made so I just handquilted it to the batting and backing. I cut the back an inch bigger than my 12 inch block all the way around (14 inch block!)
PLEASE DO NOT LOOK AT MY STITCHING!!!!!
I can do better but was in a hurry to get this so I could show!!!
Mary
YES! YES! YES! i think you have it knocked! i didn't see any extra fabric on the side of the bowtie, but i guess that's because it wasn't really done with this method in mind. you can make the sashing any size you want to by increasing or decreasing the flap size. the size possibilities are endless.

you can do almost any string design with this method. if you are making small blocks, say 4", then you probably don't even need interior stitching.

the nice thing, as i see it, is that as you work cutting out something, you can immediately use the leftovers to cut the front of one of these blocks and put it together then and there. when you have a bunch, then attach them all. if you do one at a time, you don't even realize that they're piling up. it's like a SURPRISE!!! HERE I AM !!! quilt.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:59 AM

I agree with tlrnhi about fussy cutting the blocks. That's the only way I could imagine that it would take that much fab. 20 yards is an unbelievable amout of fab for a twin size quilt.