Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can this quilt be saved? >

Can this quilt be saved?

Can this quilt be saved?

Old 11-20-2011, 02:42 PM

There a multiple issues with the quilting. Tension, stitch lenght( very irregular), and maybe a dull needle. As many quilts as I have had done by a Long Arm Pro ..... none who call themselves a pro/charge for services would have ever returned a quilt that looked like that.
The upside .....is that with stiches that loose ... they will come out easily.
Old 11-20-2011, 03:25 PM

I would take it out and spray a little water on and try and move the threads back a little after it dries. As a rule, I don't take things back and let someone try again if they messed up the first time. I don't send food back to the kitchen in restaurants either. They don't get my business again that's all. If this was a friend, I would hope that I let it go.
Old 11-20-2011, 03:40 PM

What a shame, I would definately take it back and have it fixed. So sorry about this.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by writerwomen View Post
Well, it obvioulsy needs to be redone. Looks like a blunt needle that was too large for the tread may have been used as well as the tension not set correctly. The fabric you chose is not what the long armer probably is used to- it is clear from the close up it is not the average smooth textured cotton and needs adjustments for. You didn't specify the batting you used either- sounds like you need to talk to the quilter and figure out how this will be fixed- if you have scrap of the materials try them on your machine as well as send them to the person who is doing the work so they have something to set their equipment with
The fabric is actually a good quality batik. It looks very loosely woven because I took the picture with a macro lens and is an extreme close-up. She's quilted other batik quilts and those customers were very happy, so it's not her first time working with batiks.
Old 11-20-2011, 05:38 PM

I wouldn't take out the quilting...I would have the LAQ do it. She messed it up, and as others said, she should have noticed it when she started quilting and adjusted the tension. Would not trust her/him to redo the quilting, only to take it out. I hadn't thought about putting another backing on it. I bet the holes will not be there after washing.
And, yes, this should be her/his top priority since you plan to give it as a Christmas gift.

Kathy
Old 11-20-2011, 06:09 PM

Take it back to the quilter! I can't believe someone would allow that mess out of their shop. What a shame to return your quilt in that condition!
Old 11-20-2011, 08:13 PM

Luckily it will be easy to rip out. Looks like the tension was way off. I would be heart sick
Old 11-20-2011, 10:14 PM

I am so sorry that has happened to you. I think the material is too torn for a redo. You need to get your money back, and make something new.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:46 PM
Power Poster

Shocking! I would go back and get my money but I would not have this person redo it. Very unprofessional.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:01 PM
Jim

thats completely unacceptable and unprofessional of a Long armer to even think that its acceptable let alone send it back to you in that condition..we would NEVER do that