Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
if you make quilts/items to sell- a new developement >

if you make quilts/items to sell- a new developement

if you make quilts/items to sell- a new developement

Old 11-22-2011, 04:53 AM

Interesting. I would have thought commercial meant Wal-Mart, Target, K-Mart, etc. any big merchandiser.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:54 AM

Unfortunately there is a lawsuit about the use of this fabric in progress now.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:59 AM

OK lets be real. Just how many of you are really going to check to see what is on the edge of the fabric before you buy it. I don't know about you but with the price of fabric I am just glad I can FIND some fabric that is in the color and style I want and a price I can afford let along looking to see if I could or could not use this to sell. I suppose if I started some big quilt or other operation that used alot of this fabric I would need to think about it but for the piddly amount I use I don't think it is a problem. I think where they are going after people is those who make jackets/blankets etc in the "team" fabrics or any other license fabric and sell them at flea(flee)markets. At any rate I am not worried and will still make and every now and then sell what I make and still not worry. (()That is my story and I am sticking to it)()()()
Old 11-22-2011, 05:06 AM

Think about this. Almost ALL fabric is now made in China. The counterfeiting capitol of the world. And some high fallutin' fabric designer would rather go after the home crafter? Amazing.

Maybe the best selling sewing magazines should publish articles on this subject, and name names.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by applique View Post
Unfortunately there is a lawsuit about the use of this fabric in progress now.

It would be interesting to have the name of the case; if they are suing a home sewer/crafter, how pathetic! What are their "damages", for making less than minimum wage ? If it weren't so sad it would be laughable!

Wouldn't it be justice if the judge's wife is a a quilter !
Old 11-22-2011, 05:44 AM

I keep trying to come up with a logical scenario where this would actually be to the designer's best interest and so far
I can't figure out anything that makes any kind of sense.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:49 AM

I do sell items so this concerns me. To my knowledge, I haven't bought anything with this warning on it. However, I will be careful and check every piece from now on. Of course, I don't buy a lot of fabric right now; thank goodness for large stashes!
Old 11-22-2011, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Amy Butler, for one, is removing the restriction from all her fabrics in future printings. She mentions it in the FAQ on her website, along with being very clear in saying you can use her fabrics to make projects to sell or in the manufacturing of finished goods.
http://www.amybutlerdesign.com/faqs/
Good for her. I love her fabrics. I havent' bought any yet, on moritorium, but will keep that in mind when I do. Most of my things that I plan on selling if I ever get around to it are made from hand dyes and the lady that does the dyeing is thrilled for me to sell stuff
Old 11-22-2011, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
i was reading the newsletter from one of my favorite quilts shops this morning and came to this paragraph:

FYI: IF you are buying fabrics to make quilts and to sell them you need to start looking at the selvage and see if it says "Not for Commercial Use" This means that you cannot make a quilt and sell it without the permission of the fabric designer! There is a lot going on right now with pattern designers and people making quilts using fabrics with this on the selvage. Right now there are some designers that are being sued over this! It's all over the internet right now so just Beware!! It doesn't make sense to me and a lot of people but it's happening now. You'd think the designer would be happy seeing her fabrics in people's quilts but some aren't I guess! Watch your selvages before buying the fabrics if you're going to sell the quilt!

so, be careful- and check those salvages- it used to be we only had to be careful about using someone else's designs---now some of the fabrics are (off-limits too)--licensed fabrics always were off limits- but the rest were ok- not anymore- so,
if you are making to sell- please be sure and request the permissions needed and keep your self safe from legal actions
How outrageous is that? Like many "folks" in this country...desigers seems to be getting too big for their britches! They are designing to sell, aren't they? So what if you make a quilt for yourself, it ends up in a yard sale or at the flea market...this is just the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Is there going to be a design police? If I see that on the selvage, I will not buy it, not because I cannot resell it, but because of the principle of the thing, give me a break!
Old 11-22-2011, 06:03 AM

FINALLY! A benefit of not being an experienced quilter! I don't quilt well enough to sell anything I make. LOL. However, I will support all of you who are affected by this greediness. I will become more aware of selvages I will not purchase these fabrics, and will be very vocal about it. Your sister quilter.