Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Would You Do? (How to quilt something) >

What Would You Do? (How to quilt something)

What Would You Do? (How to quilt something)

Old 12-12-2011, 07:40 AM

Default What Would You Do? (How to quilt something)

Hi all! I am working on 3 lap size "memory quilts" for my sisters that are made from our moms clothes (she passed away in 2010). Even though she was in her 80's she was a stylish woman and there are lots of different thicknesses and weights of fabric from sweaters to cotton etc....plus including necklines and collars (used fusible interfacing to stabilize).

So because of this I know it wont work well on my frame.....would you attempt to free motion on regular machine, stitch in the ditch or tie?

Yep, I am sitting here at work and all thats in my head are all the Christmas projects I am trying to finish up!! Lol
Old 12-12-2011, 08:52 AM

If there is so many different fabrics and such. Why not make it easy on yourself and tie them. It would make your life lots easier. I'm sure they will look great tied!
Old 12-12-2011, 09:01 AM

I agree tie them, they will look great and so much easier when using all those mediums.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:22 AM

Okay thanks valley and jgriinke, you got my head turned down the tying avenue and I think what I am going to do is 'tie' them with the machine....I have a small decorative stitch I am going to use and I think that will do very nicely. Now to get home and start working!

Have a couple of finished quilts I need to post pics of and will try to get these posted too!
Old 12-12-2011, 11:43 AM

when i 'tie' on the machine, I lay either 6 inches of 2 pcs of yarn or embroidery floss, OR a 5" pc of poly doublesided ribbon (grosgrain or satin, doublesided is the big thing). for floss/yarn, i lay them down and either bar tack or sew back and forward 3 times.... then i tie the floss/yarn into a surgeon's knot (left over right, and then right over left twice). When using the ribbon, I fold both ends over to make a bow with no knot...now bar tack or satin stitch a square in the middle. with double sided ribbon, it will wash and dry and still look perfect... no wrinkling... once you get going on either method, it is fast...