Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Machine --professional maintenance >

Sewing Machine --professional maintenance

Sewing Machine --professional maintenance

Old 12-15-2011, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
also-it probably cost so much because of the condition it was in-amount of work he had to do---if you take your machine in for regular service (like once a year- or once every 2 years) it will probably not be that much- it costs me $40 for an annual check-up-cleaning service. and my shop tends to get after me saying with the amount of sewing i do every 6 months would be reasonable...
buying the little vacuum attachment kit makes it easier to clean out the hard to get to areas- and can help you go
longer between service visits...they are not very expensive- very well worth the money!
You might be right. I just thought it was inflation!
Old 12-15-2011, 04:12 PM

great advice, treat all machines like cars, get them serviced and they will last you a long time.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:09 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
it costs me $40 for an annual check-up-cleaning service
Maybe it depends on where you live. It cost me over $100 for an annual check-up-cleaning ten years ago, and there was nothing wrong with the machine. That's when I decided to do the cleaning myself, and to take my machine in for servicing only if it doesn't seem to be in tip-top shape anymore. I figure with the $1,000 or so I've saved in 10 years, I can buy a new machine if worst comes to worst. However, my Bernina is still humming away happily without hiccups, so I've had no reason to take her in.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:32 PM

Mercy! I have a machine that I use regularly that I haven't taken in for 19 years. It's a Jamone and she still works perfectly in every way. I think I'll just keep cleaning and oiling all of my machines the way I always have. Seems to work for me.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:52 AM

Default bernina

Originally Posted by moreland View Post
My Bernina died on me so off to the repairman it went. He really scolded me (kindly) because it was full of lint and had frozen the needle bar and something else. He was able to fix it, but told me me I was mighty close to ruining my sewing machine because I had not had it serviced. I think it had not been to the shop for more than 5 years (I'm ashamed to say) and I do use it lots. I keep the bobbin area cleaned, but this lint was inside the machine where I can't get to it. Just a note to encourage others like me--take time to get your machine cleaned! Mine was only gone 2 days and it sews like a charm once again. It did cost a bundle--$105.00, but that is still a lot cheaper than a new machine!
Mine charged me 99.00 and that was a few years ago
Old 12-16-2011, 06:03 AM

On some of the newer machines if you dont take them in for their yearly check up, it voids the warranty's
Old 12-16-2011, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingKrazy View Post
Just curious as to what type machine you have? I had my mom's old Bernina 830/810 I can't remember#,
She bought in the 70's and gave to me in '93. I hate to admit it, but I never had it professionally serviced, It still
runs like a champ! I purchased a Janome 6500 about 2.5 yrs ago and use it 4 out of 7 days a week! Kinda scared
to take it in for a cleaning... the old saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". I'm sure the newer models are not near as durable as the older mechanical kind.
My Janome dealer told me that as long as I regularly clean out the bobbin area, I don't need to bring it in every year. Most of the "workings" are sealed and stay clean.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:14 AM

I too have a Bernina and am familliar with the bobbin race and the feed dogs clogging with lint. The first time I took my machine in and as I did not have the receipt for warranty purposes it cost me almost $200. Ouch. The next time I started having trouble I said to myself I AM WOMAN and got out my screw drivers and openned up the d$% thing and cleaned it my self and oiled it and massaged it! Now regularly between large projects I clean and oil the bobbin race and take of the front cover and inspect it and oil everything I can reach (dispite the brochure that says "never needs oiling".
MaryKatherine
Old 12-16-2011, 06:29 AM

Most of the newer machines don't have a warranty long enough to sneeze at anymore!
Old 12-16-2011, 06:32 AM

Professional serviced and cleaned once a year is the best medicine you can do for one of your loved machines, every year-Christie, my Bernina loves her time at the spa, and pays me back with rewards in quilts.