Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I give a lap quilt to my new hairdresser? >

Should I give a lap quilt to my new hairdresser?

Should I give a lap quilt to my new hairdresser?

Old 12-18-2011, 11:09 AM

If you have lots of extra quilts, I think this would be a lovely gift.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:13 AM

That is definitely an expensive gift for a hairdresser, but even so, go with your heart. You have to do what makes you feel good. I tip my hairdresser every time I see her and at Christmas, I give her 4-5 times the normal tip. I know she appreciates it. If I had a quilt to give, I'd probably give her one, but then she has been doing my hair for 20 years. It's clear from your post that you are a giving person, so do what makes you happy.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:45 PM
Power Poster

If you feel like giving her a baby quilt do so. It should not cost $100 to make a small baby quilt, as you might have enough fabrics in your stash to make a lovely scrap quilt, like the disappearing nine-patch, or a simple 9 patch block with a snowball block. Regardless of what others may say, do whatever makes you feel good.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:49 PM

No, give her a little wall hanging if you must.
Old 12-18-2011, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
I agree. I'm going to give her one. I am going to just drop it off on her day off and not leave a note. I know she'll know it's from me, but I won't say Merry Christmas. I'll just leave it as a gift.
PLEASE don't just drop it off and hope she knows it's from you. Suppose she does other quilters' hair, or that it doesn't get to her? If you don't want to be there when she opens it, thats understandable, but please sign the card!!!!!
Old 12-18-2011, 01:06 PM

jcrow...you're my hero! Merry Christmas.
Old 12-18-2011, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Sierra View Post
A gift is a gift. I don't think that giving her a quilt this year means you have to give her something "special" next year. I think you spoke about quilts and she said she didn't have one and you heard a longing in her voice (or something). A gift isn't a payment, a gift is a something you want to give (unless you have an awful family and HAVE to give an awful person a gift) :>) Sometimes an unexpected gift can be the start of a whole new line of kindness and love. She doesn't have to know the cost, she will realize the kindness, the love. I think your instinct was to give it to her and you should follow your instinct.

I'm giving a lap robe to a (not very good) housekeeper who is putting her life together after years on drugs. She's been clean a few years now and my daughter and the cleaning agency woman are working with her to improve her skills. She admired my quilts and she is getting one this Christmas. Not because she deserves it, but because there is something in her I admire and I want to give her a piece of love and encouragement. Mine is only $100 because I quilt my own (and I'm not very good), but that doesn't alter the "price" of the love given. Go with your first thought. You'll never be sorry!
Well said. My hairdresser is a friend and a person who works very, very hard in a demanding profession.

Last edited by Greenheron; 12-18-2011 at 01:58 PM.
Old 12-18-2011, 02:03 PM

You did bring up the subject and stated you had more and did not know who to give them too. so... pick out a nice simple one and give it. isn't that why we do them? what you give next year is not the point. you could do home made cookies next time. it is not the value of the ingredients or fabrics, it is the spirit of the season and price should not be considered... so if you like her and feel she would appreciate the quilt.....why not.....I would....
Old 12-18-2011, 02:54 PM

If you have extra, wrap up one that would be a good cuddle blanket for mom and daughter. Then if you have a Christmas story book (you can find them on sale) put that with it. Gift the gift of reading and love.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:34 PM

Take it slow...too much too soon.