Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I give a lap quilt to my new hairdresser? >

Should I give a lap quilt to my new hairdresser?

Old 12-18-2011, 04:37 PM

I would give her a nice tip. I'll take the quilt!!!!!!LOL. IMHO that's a pretty huge gift for someone that has been doing your hair for a short time.
Old 12-18-2011, 05:56 PM

Only give it to her if you can do so without expectations, with a completely open heart. When she said, "I don't have a quilt," she probably had no idea about not just the expense, but the effort that goes into it. Which means that she might not treat it as tenderly as you would want her to. So next time you see her for a haircut, she might say something about the kids using it to make a fort. Will you be able to handle that without hard feelings?
Old 12-18-2011, 07:20 PM

Why do you make quilts?

I make them for my personal enjoyment and to give. I DO NOT HAVE A SINGLE QUILT IN MY HOME...that I made. While I enjoy the relaxation of the hand piecing, the excitement as it goes together and the satisfaction when it all comes together...the joy of giving is why I quilt! Yes, quilting is expensive but "those with the most quilts in the end, do not win"

I see my quilts in friend's homes and I smile to myself...especially if it has beome ragged with use! When I think of the baby quilts that still lay on a 20 year old's bed...I beam!

I may wait a cut or two... and if she mentions your quilting, talk about why you quilt...and present her one because you enjoy sharing your passion!
Old 12-18-2011, 07:26 PM

If it makes you feel good to give her a quilt, then give it! I think she will remember your generosity for many years to come with a smile!
Old 12-19-2011, 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by Sierra View Post
Don't most quilters consider those who appreciate, those in need (even if we don't know them), those who long for a touch of love (even if they aren't really aware of their longing) someone who deserves a quilt? Don't most quilters make quilts for different causes.... nursing homes, children in hospitals, victims of natural disasters?
Of course, we probably all have....but I was reponding to the fact that none of these points were brought out in the ops post other than the hairdresser said "I would like to have a quilt". It just appeared to me that she barely knew this person. My suggestion is to hang on a bit and get to know her - and vs. Having a little more knowledge about the person would make the gift giving so much more meaningful. Just the fact that she asked indicates that she is unsure that it would be a well received gift. And I'm separating this type of gift giving from the gifts to nursing homes, hospitals, etc. There definately is a need there and it is a different category altogether.

Edited to add: I'm sure the op will make a comfortable decision on the matter, whatever that decision may be.

Last edited by GGJudy; 12-19-2011 at 02:49 AM.
Old 12-19-2011, 03:38 AM

I would be uncomfortable receiving a gift that large from someone I had a professional relationship with. But if you heart tells you to give it, do so and be glad it made two people happy, you and your hairdresser. As long as you have no expectations there is nothing wrong with being that generous.
And I bet my hairdresser wished she was doing the hair of the woman who gave $1000 tip.
Old 12-19-2011, 03:59 AM

I'm a yoga teacher and one year one of my students (a very talented woman who knits, weaves and spins her own yarn) gave me a beautiful white sweater made from Alpaca wool, knitted in a lace pattern with scalloped edges. I could never reciprocate a gift like that. I love the sweater, it fits me perfectly and she didn't even have my measurements! I'll be wearing it today over my yoga clothes and she will love seeing me in it again. This past fall my DH and I were traveling around Vermont and stopped at an Alpaca farm, the women that owned it was packing her yarn up for a show in New York. She had beautiful fine Alpaca wool blended with silk. I thought, "I know someone who would appreciate this yarn!" I could only afford two skeins of it. I gave it to my student (she retired from nursing this year) and she loved it! She made herself a beautiful shawl. What goes around comes around. Give the gift! Merry Christmas!
Old 12-19-2011, 04:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
I have been to Aubrey 2 times to do my hair and twice for a facial. She's in her twenties with a daughter. We were talking and I told her I made quilts and had given my kids so many quilts that they don't need any more. I said I didn't know what to do with all of them. She said "I don't have a quilt". Well, I have a choice to make. Should I give her a lap quilt? I don't think she realizes how expensive they are. I had it long armed quilted and it cost me $100 plus over $100 for the fabric. I don't have any runners to give her. She does a great job on my hair and I'm going to continue using her, but I just don't know if giving her such an expensive gift is the right thing to do. What do you think? I have quite a few quilts.
Am quite shocked that a lap quilt takes $100 of fabric, ok ,I know I buy q/tops but have had extremely well made/good fabric ones for under $39 then use either warm/natural or poly and often a nice sheet or inexpensive cotton backing; why pay $100 for quilting ,can you not do yourself /tie or hand quilt?
Am sure she has no idea of cost so therefore you must weigh up whether you wish to do this.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
What will she be expecting next year? A thorny issue for sure. I would maybe make up a quick small quilt for the daughter. It gets you off the hook and because it's for her daughter you will not be obligated to do something big next year. A nice short scissor fob would be a nice gift for her? (short so it doesn't interfer with cutting action?)
This is exactly what I was going to say. I think it is best to start small and then go up. If you give her an expensive quilt, what will you do next year? I would whip up a table runner or some place mats. I have several quilts that I call my "stash", that I save for when there is a need for a gift or a plea for help for some disaster. A casual friend saw my "stash" and said she would love any of them. I just brushed it off saying I was saving them for charity giving. This was not someone that I felt would appreciate all my hard work that much. But you have to do what YOU would be comfortable with.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by pseudoquilter View Post
Typically ettiquette calls for tipping to be equal to the service you are receiving, so if a hair cut it $20 the tip should equal that. I personally feel a quilt is not appropriate and this is a new hairdresser not someone you have been going to for years.
I pay my hairdresser $75 for my visits. If I had to tip her the same amount I would not be able to afford her. Even if she only charged $20, I could not tip that much. I don't tip my hairdresser. I go every 6 weeks and I feel since I've been going to her for $20 years she should and does appreciate my loyalty to her