Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I give a lap quilt to my new hairdresser? >

Should I give a lap quilt to my new hairdresser?

Should I give a lap quilt to my new hairdresser?

Old 12-16-2011, 02:07 PM

A lot of thought will need to go into whether or not you gift her with a quilt for Christmas. Once you make your decision, stick with it and don't look back. Good luck and let us know what you do and how it turns out.
Old 12-16-2011, 02:15 PM

I have been goign to the same haridresser for years and years. I love her dearly but would never think of giving her a quilt for Christmas. A card with a nice tip is better appreciated.
Old 12-16-2011, 02:19 PM
Power Poster

I agree with some that it's too expensive of a gift. I would give her something she could use (travel mug, coffee cup, charm, etc). After Christmas if the conversation of quilts come up again I would, in a casual way, let her know the expense of making a quilt.
Old 12-16-2011, 02:53 PM

Tough question and I am not sure what guidance is appropriate. A quilt to me represents a great deal of work, time and money investment and heartfelt dedication. I usually give my quilts to some one who I share special meaning. The joy is in the giving. You could adopt a needy child or adult and give one to them. My BFF gives two lap quilts a year to those in need. Let us know what you decide and have a wonderful holiday.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:00 PM

You sound like you really want to give her the quilt, and if that is what your heart is telling you to do, I think you should follow your heart. Sometimes our heart is leading us in the right direction. You just never know how that special a gift will affect this young woman. Gifts from the heart don't have dollar figures placed on them, in my opinion. And I don't think you should just drop it off. You deserve to see the look on her face when she sees her gift. Even if she never understands the time and money involved, she will never forget you for giving her that quilt. I know before I quilted myself, I never ever had a quilt, and always wanted one. I finally inherited a quilt from my MIL and although I'm sure it was made from sewing leftovers, it is very special to me and always will be. Follow your heart, you won't be sorry.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:40 PM

Don't give her one yet. She will get the idea you can just whip them up and not respect it enough. Plus, first time you don't like your haircut, you will resent her. Been there, done that. However, one for her little girl would be fine because she will appreciate it more. After while, you will feel more comfortable giving your hairdresser a quilt but maybe by then you'll have a better idea of colors and such, not just an extra one you already have. That way, you can be more sure that she will like AND appreciate it.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
I agree with you. I really want to give her this quilt. The way she said "I don't have a quilt" told me she would like one. I have some already made and ready to go. I think I will give her one but I'm not going to keep giving her Christmas gifts. I always give her a tip. When she said she didn't have a quilt, the look in her eyes really got to me.
A gift is a gift and should be giving from the heart. Hopefully she will love it and appreciate it!
Old 12-16-2011, 08:26 PM

Give her the quilt. You know from your conversation with her that she would like to have one. You are pleased with her service and I believe you feel she is worthy as a person to have one of your quilts. Give it and enjoy giving it. There is zero reason to wait 6 months or a year into your business relationship to give the girl a gift. If you were wanting to give it to someone you were dating it would be a different story - someone of such short acquaintance should only be given books or other impersonal items.
There is no need to tell her what it takes to make one. If she asked you to make her one then yes, by all means, educate her. To give her one from the heart is totally different.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Mitch's mom View Post
Give her the quilt. You know from your conversation with her that she would like to have one. You are pleased with her service and I believe you feel she is worthy as a person to have one of your quilts. Give it and enjoy giving it. There is zero reason to wait 6 months or a year into your business relationship to give the girl a gift. If you were wanting to give it to someone you were dating it would be a different story - someone of such short acquaintance should only be given books or other impersonal items.
There is no need to tell her what it takes to make one. If she asked you to make her one then yes, by all means, educate her. To give her one from the heart is totally different.
she has done her hair twice and had 2 facials...that's short acquaintance..
Old 12-16-2011, 08:45 PM

Jeanne, you have a warm, generous heart. You know she wants a quilt, and you have one to give. I don't care how long you've known her, MOST hairdressers don't make as much money as people think they do, and you already know she'd appreciate it. Folks give quilts to others that they have never met (charity quilts, QOV quilts, etc.) and have no qualms about the cost when they give it, nor do they ever know if the quilt was really appreciated.
I say, if it makes you feel good to give her the quilt, then do it in person so she can thank you properly! I think it's very sweet of you to want to share with her!