Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I give a lap quilt to my new hairdresser? >

Should I give a lap quilt to my new hairdresser?

Should I give a lap quilt to my new hairdresser?

Old 12-16-2011, 08:46 PM

I learned early on that making a quilt can be expensive and if that was going to be a consideration I would never give them away. So I quit worrying about the cost and I do it because it warms my heart when I give them away. If it makes you feel good then give it to her. But I do agree that you should hand it to her because that way you can both enjoy the moment!
Old 12-16-2011, 09:58 PM

As a hairdresser, I appreciate any gift I receive from my clients, I feel that a quilt is a great gift, but will it make her feel uncomfortable because you have only been to her a few times, probably, would it make her feel special, probably, I as a stylist never expecdt my clients to gift me with anything, but I really enjoy it when they give me anything. Do what makes you feel good, no, we don't make much money, at least most of us don't, but we usually really grow to enjoy the clients who we get to visit with on a regular basis
Old 12-17-2011, 02:34 AM

I feel the same...yes they are nice...you pay them...No I would never pay 100.00 on a quilt for my hairdresser or mailman...you could always make a small scrap quilt and do your own quilting on your sewing machine.
Originally Posted by Raggiemom View Post
I never gave my hairdresser gifts at Christmas. I figured I paid her for her service and that was sufficient. But you should give her what you're comfortable with. A lap quilt is a pretty expensive gift for someone you don't know very well. Maybe make one of the 10 minute table runners (tutorial on this site) for her if you're not comfortable giving the lap quilt?
Old 12-17-2011, 03:09 AM

I would give to a close friend or close family member, $200.00 for a gift to a stranger is alot unless you feel that is not a lot of money. I struggle spending over 100.00 now for materials at times. People have No idea how much it costs to make a quilt. I made one for my brother and yes he loved it...I added a decal and he said wow that decal costs a lot...do you want me to pay your for it...the decal was 25.00 the quilt material 100.00...he has no idea - He is my brother so money is not the issue but sad how people think its next to nothing to make quilts. I
Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
I have been to Aubrey 2 times to do my hair and twice for a facial. She's in her twenties with a daughter. We were talking and I told her I made quilts and had given my kids so many quilts that they don't need any more. I said I didn't know what to do with all of them. She said "I don't have a quilt". Well, I have a choice to make. Should I give her a lap quilt? I don't think she realizes how expensive they are. I had it long armed quilted and it cost me $100 plus over $100 for the fabric. I don't have any runners to give her. She does a great job on my hair and I'm going to continue using her, but I just don't know if giving her such an expensive gift is the right thing to do. What do you think? I have quite a few quilts.
Old 12-17-2011, 03:12 AM

I agree with you! Being a former hairstylist myself...I never expected anything, but when I was givin something it made my day...And I also agree, Hairstylist don't make the money people think, some of the money we make has to go back into the products, and boothrent and ect....

Donna

Originally Posted by danece View Post
As a hairdresser, I appreciate any gift I receive from my clients, I feel that a quilt is a great gift, but will it make her feel uncomfortable because you have only been to her a few times, probably, would it make her feel special, probably, I as a stylist never expecdt my clients to gift me with anything, but I really enjoy it when they give me anything. Do what makes you feel good, no, we don't make much money, at least most of us don't, but we usually really grow to enjoy the clients who we get to visit with on a regular basis
Old 12-17-2011, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
I have been to Aubrey 2 times to do my hair and twice for a facial. She's in her twenties with a daughter. We were talking and I told her I made quilts and had given my kids so many quilts that they don't need any more. I said I didn't know what to do with all of them. She said "I don't have a quilt". Well, I have a choice to make. Should I give her a lap quilt? I don't think she realizes how expensive they are. I had it long armed quilted and it cost me $100 plus over $100 for the fabric. I don't have any runners to give her. She does a great job on my hair and I'm going to continue using her, but I just don't know if giving her such an expensive gift is the right thing to do. What do you think? I have quite a few quilts.
I consider myself to be a very generous person, but no, I would not give a hairdresser a quilt that you made. First off, quilts can be used to death and it is always good to have a few on hand, secondly, two haircuts? That is a tip, not a $100 LAQ job, not to mention fabric, batting, time, labor. With all respect to hairdressers, paper delivery people, I think a monetary tip would be fine, not a whole quilt. I am sorry if no one goes along with my thinking, but my time and our money is more important than a haircut. Our hairdresser (she is both my husband and my hairdresser) has been our hairdresser for nigh unto ten-twelve years now and I know she would never assume, much less expect a quilt from me. Save your lovely quilts for your family (down the road apiece). Give her a tip and maybe a box of candy or a gift certificate to a restaurant and save your quilts for either a donation to a worthy cause or save for your family. You know, maybe the best gift would be a bit of your time to show her how to make a quilt. She would have that gift for a lifetime. Edie
Old 12-17-2011, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I would not, at this point, give her a quilt. I think she made the comment about not having a quilt just as a way to keep the conversation going, and she doesn't expect that you will be giving her one. Your relationship with her is quite new, and it would put her in an awkward position to receive such a large gift. How can she ever reciprocate? On the other hand, a simple quilt for her daughter might be perfect and wouldn't put her in such a difficult position.
If you two really develop a great relationship .... maybe you could involve her instead of you doing it all. You could offer patterns she might like and if she is willing to help buy the fabric you make the quilt.

That way if she really wants a quilt, she'll get something she has a vested interest in ... colors she had chosen ... etc.

ali
Old 12-17-2011, 04:43 AM

I think it is a bit lavish for your hairdresser as you don't want her to feel uncomfortable about receiving the gift as well. Perhaps a small hairdresser's carry bag or apron for her scissors and comb might be a better way to go.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:02 AM

Never deny the urge to give. She obviously makes you happy.
Merry Christmas
MaryKatherine
Old 12-17-2011, 05:15 AM

That's a rather large gift. I usually just give mine a bigger tip in Dec. Now I'm thinking maybe I should give more..