Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New Question - >

New Question -

New Question -

Old 01-14-2012, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by catlinye_maker View Post
Rotating cutting mat. It was expensive, and it's still easier to turn the piece I'm trimming than it is to turn the mat.
Wow....I love my rotating cutting mat. I've had it for years and use it often. It's one accessory I wouldn't want to be without. When I try a new accessory I always buy with the understanding that it can be returned. Sometimes not always, what won't work for one person works for another person and has nothing to do with the quality of an item.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:22 AM

Here are a couple of thing that I have learned about some of the stuff we are unhappy with. use lots of OIL [I use my sewing machine oil] on the blade sharpener and you don't have so much man power, and I got a small cuttting mat that would sat in am old lazy susan that I had. at was lot chaper than a rotating cutting mat.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Divokittysmom View Post
This thread could be so helpful to everyone especially if we list the problems we are having with the items. I am especially happy to read about the rotary blade sharpener as I was considering purchasing one. I kept hesitating because I wasn't hearing any big rave reviews on them. Now I know why! So thank you to those who posted about them.
Me too! Thanks.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Gabrielle's Mimi View Post
I teach Learn to Quilt classes at my LQS and lots of people come in with $99 Singers, etc. We need to be kind...these newbies do not have the experience and years of quilting that many of us do. I am very lucky to have a Bernina that I just love, but many people do not know that there are shops that specialize in better quality machines, or they may not have the financial resources to buy a great machine. I teach everyone who comes to me, regardless of their machine quality, and usually, once they see what a good machine can do, they begin saving to buy a nicer machine.

Aren't we forgetting that many people would love to buy a better machine but their financial budgets will not allow them to do so ? Also how many women will not say one word when their DH buy a riding lawnmower that lasts about 10 years and costs $2500 ?
Old 01-16-2012, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by catlinye_maker View Post
Rotating cutting mat. It was expensive, and it's still easier to turn the piece I'm trimming than it is to turn the mat.
I just read that if you use a small mat on top of a big mat that it turns very nicely and dosn't cost a thing...assuming you have a little mat. I haven't tried this yet, but it makes sense to me.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:48 PM

Grannie annie and Val. I'm from Griffin, In. But living in Dallas now. Small world huh?
Old 01-17-2012, 05:39 AM

I have the Olfa 12 in rotary mat and love it.
It is simple with two pieces one green one black. Its got a small hole in the black mat that the green mat fits inside.
You turn the green mat and it turns smoothly. It cannot be like turntables that you dont have enough control over.
It dosnt spin when you move it since you control the turning speed
I dont understand the problems people are having. Is the hole cut crooked and not smooth enough to turn?

Last edited by Rose Marie; 01-17-2012 at 05:42 AM.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:06 AM

I made the wrong choice of a quilting frame as it has never been correct and my machine scrapes on it. I am now saving to buy a decent unit.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:06 AM

Pinmors....a big waste of $$$
Old 01-17-2012, 07:18 AM

I have four in-cabinet machines and have yearned for a light weight portable. Not able to spring for a 221 or quality new machine, I deludedly purchased two of the tiny (as-seen-on-TV) like new, in the box, machines at two different flea markets. I should have known better. I did know better. I just wanted a portable so much.