Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Pet Peeve >

Quilting Pet Peeve

Quilting Pet Peeve

Old 01-14-2012, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by mlsa View Post
Good Morning Ladies

I can relate to most of those peeves. My latest peeve is getting 40% - 50% off coupons from Joannes and the store has permanent 30% signs on their fabric which means the 40% - 50% coupons are worthless for most of the fabric.

I do use the coupons for other things but I purchase more fabric than accessories.
Ok...someone from Joanne's must have read my post this morning. Bought some fabric this morning and they had taken some of the 30% sale signs down so I got my fabric 50% off. The higher quality fabric still had the 30% signs on them though. Better than nothing. I saved $8.00
Old 01-14-2012, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Mazda View Post
I guess my pet peeve is BAD instructions!

I think this is the one thing that irritates me the most. I have run across some really bad instructions and designers that over complicate things just because they can. I've actually redrafted whole patterns and rewritten instructions before I even get started cutting! I should have just designed it and written it myself!
Old 01-14-2012, 10:21 AM

DeeMail... LOL. Thank you for you comments on the people that ask you to work on garments. I have been telling them I do not sew on garments. But you are so right, why not tell them it $30.00 and up, and be done with it. Your comments are priceless. Thank you. That was one of my biggest pet peeves people not wanting to pay for your time.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:24 AM

My Pet Peeve is I don't put things back where they belong so I can't find them...LOL
Old 01-14-2012, 10:28 AM

Talking

I would have to say that right now my "Mainest" pet peeve is having to share my sewing room with my 22-year-old son. On Friday evenings I really look forward to coming home and disappearing into my sewing room. But since August when DS decided to commute to college, I get home to a horrible mess in my sewing room. So first I have to clean up at least a 12 pack of empty Coke Zero cans, throw away his spit cups, clean all of his paperwork, ear buds, cell phone parts, hair bands, etc. off of my ironing board, clean ashes off of my cutting table, return the hot sauce and dirty dishes to the kitchen, pick up his dirty clothes and the million pairs of socks he has borrowed from his dad, stow his laptop, cds, and various papers, roll his weights under the table, and move any number of other items to uncover my tables. By the time I've got all of this done, my sewing haven has become a sewing hell because I'm so stressed out and upset. And I usually STILL manage to get a sock stuck in the wheel of my sewing chair! LOL

And he's a really good-natured kid that runs to the LQS for me on a regular basis, never batting an eye at the really wierd notes I write to the shop ladies about how cute he is, etc. But we've had the "keep my sewing room neat" conversation so many times now!

And on Saturdays, since he works nights, I can never get in there until 2 or 3 pm. YUCK! That means I SHOULD clean, but I don't - I read quilting blogs!

My other pet peeve is when I pick out fabric and the shop lady brings 4 other quilters over to tell me why I shouldn't use what I've chosen. Granted, I am a newbie quilter, but my color tastes are not like theirs. I always bow to their experience because by the time they finish with their complaints about my choices, I am so embarassed that I'm wishing the floor would open up and swallow me. This ALWAYS happens at one of the two stores in my area - I now very seldom go there.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by beadywoman View Post
I would have to say that right now my "Mainest" pet peeve is having to share my sewing room with my 22-year-old son. On Friday evenings I really look forward to coming home and disappearing into my sewing room. But since August when DS decided to commute to college, I get home to a horrible mess in my sewing room. So first I have to clean up at least a 12 pack of empty Coke Zero cans, throw away his spit cups, clean all of his paperwork, ear buds, cell phone parts, hair bands, etc. off of my ironing board, clean ashes off of my cutting table, return the hot sauce and dirty dishes to the kitchen, pick up his dirty clothes and the million pairs of socks he has borrowed from his dad, stow his laptop, cds, and various papers, roll his weights under the table, and move any number of other items to uncover my tables. By the time I've got all of this done, my sewing haven has become a sewing hell because I'm so stressed out and upset. And I usually STILL manage to get a sock stuck in the wheel of my sewing chair! LOL

And he's a really good-natured kid that runs to the LQS for me on a regular basis, never batting an eye at the really wierd notes I write to the shop ladies about how cute he is, etc. But we've had the "keep my sewing room neat" conversation so many times now!

And on Saturdays, since he works nights, I can never get in there until 2 or 3 pm. YUCK! That means I SHOULD clean, but I don't - I read quilting blogs!

My other pet peeve is when I pick out fabric and the shop lady brings 4 other quilters over to tell me why I shouldn't use what I've chosen. Granted, I am a newbie quilter, but my color tastes are not like theirs. I always bow to their experience because by the time they finish with their complaints about my choices, I am so embarassed that I'm wishing the floor would open up and swallow me. This ALWAYS happens at one of the two stores in my area - I now very seldom go there.
Wow, this pushes so many buttons that I don't know where to start! I do hope you get some stress relief somewhere.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:28 AM

People who feel free to ask me to make a quilt and think it's going to cost $10 or $15 and then act really surprised and hurt when I tell them how expensive it really is to make a quilt. They usually gasp and say "oh, I can't afford to pay that much for a quilt", as if they think I'm going to donate everything over and above their $10 or $15 price they had in mind, or asking me to alter or remake a garment. I inform them that I don't do alterations for other people. Also, people who want a embroidery job done for nothng just because they know I have an embroidery machine.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:47 PM

Ripping out the work I just did is my number one. However, as LuvToQuilt said - getting finished and finding your bobbin ran out way back when is a close second.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:01 PM

Wink

Originally Posted by ShiAnnF View Post
I was wondering what is everyone's pet peeve for quilting. My #1 pet peeve is seeing the little tiny threads lying around I cannot stand that and pick one up whenever I see one. My #2 pet peeve, and I know none of you have this problem, is ripping out what I just sewed. Someday I will learn to pay more attention to my sewing!!!!!!
So far I dont have one, but am sure glad you have not been to my house. LOL.....My floor has a rug of threads........)you can come...I'll clean before you get here)
Old 01-14-2012, 01:16 PM

1) Not realizing the bobbin is empty and being so proud because I finally got that blankety...blankety seam straight!
2) Not being able to get that blankety seam straight!
3) Ripping seams because of stupidity.
4) Putting wrong side against right side when it should have been right side against right side.
5) I'm sure there's more. LOL!!