Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Shredding thread during FMQ >

Shredding thread during FMQ

Shredding thread during FMQ

Old 01-17-2012, 12:19 PM

Default Shredding thread during FMQ

I joined Sewcalgal's free motion challenge and I'm *trying* FMQ but my thread keeps shreding at the needle. I'm using a size 16 denim needle and King Tut 50 wt. thread. It works wonderfully for a while and then the thread starts shreding at the needle. I tried using smaller needles but sometimes they wouldn't form a stitch. Do I need a larger needle or a different kind of needle? Or, is it something I'm not doing right? I vaguely remember something that can be put on the thread, but I can't remember what it is or why you use it. The thread is probably 4-5 years old ... could that be the problem? When it's not shredding the stitches are great. I'm using my DSM on a table, no frame. Any ideas?

Suzy
Old 01-17-2012, 02:46 PM

Try an 18 needle, I know sounds awfully big but that's what works for me. You might also try a product called Sewer's Aid. Its very inexpensive, I purchased mine online for under $3. You add a drop or two to your thread spool, let it soak in for a few minutes and like magic it helps with shredding.

Good Luck
Old 01-17-2012, 04:01 PM

You may also want to try a top stitch needle. The eye is more elongated and I have found they work well for me.

Biries
Old 01-17-2012, 09:39 PM

Top stitch needles work great with King tut. I also wonder what weight of fabric you're using = if it's really dense, like denim, you'll need a bigger needle. If you're trying to "drive" too fast, that can also lead to shredding. The other thing you might want to look at is your bobbin thread - if it's too thin and tension is too tight it can mess up your thread on the top,
Old 01-17-2012, 09:56 PM

I would try a size 90/14 top stitch needle. It may be something as simple as a burr on the needle you are using, and all you need to do is change the needle. Some types of thread tell you what size needle to use right on the top of the spool. If not, you could check the web site for information. That's all I've got ....good luck.

Just checked the web site and this is what they say:[TABLE="width: 100%"]
[TR]
[TD].
King Tut quilting thread is a #40/3 extra-long staple Egyptian-grown cotton. King Tut quilting thread has very low lint and is extra strong. Each cone has 2,000 yards. King Tut quilting thread is also available on 500 yard spools.
For home machines, we recommend using a Superior Topstitch #90/14 needle and setting your tension around a 3.0 or 4.0.
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Last edited by maine ladybug; 01-17-2012 at 10:03 PM.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:01 PM

My King Tut cone says to use a Topstitch 90/14 needle. The topstitch needle has a longer, larger eye. If your thread is shredding it's usually the fault of the needle.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:02 PM

I would switch to a topstitch needle or a metafil ---they have a longer scarf and larger eye so the thread isn't as apt to shred or break. Another thing might be to make sure you are using a new needle with each project. And last but not least, check to see that you have cleaned the tension disk areas and then rethreaded the machine properly. Speaking from experience here. LOL

Originally Posted by SuzyQ View Post
I joined Sewcalgal's free motion challenge and I'm *trying* FMQ but my thread keeps shreding at the needle. I'm using a size 16 denim needle and King Tut 50 wt. thread. It works wonderfully for a while and then the thread starts shreding at the needle. I tried using smaller needles but sometimes they wouldn't form a stitch. Do I need a larger needle or a different kind of needle? Or, is it something I'm not doing right? I vaguely remember something that can be put on the thread, but I can't remember what it is or why you use it. The thread is probably 4-5 years old ... could that be the problem? When it's not shredding the stitches are great. I'm using my DSM on a table, no frame. Any ideas?

Suzy
Old 01-17-2012, 10:04 PM

I was told by several sewing machine repair people and dealers not to use Sewer's Aid on thread in electronic/computerized machines.

Originally Posted by leatheflea View Post
Try an 18 needle, I know sounds awfully big but that's what works for me. You might also try a product called Sewer's Aid. Its very inexpensive, I purchased mine online for under $3. You add a drop or two to your thread spool, let it soak in for a few minutes and like magic it helps with shredding.

Good Luck
Old 01-18-2012, 02:22 AM

They tell me not to run over pins also but I do.