Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sliced side of finger with rotary cutter >

Sliced side of finger with rotary cutter

Sliced side of finger with rotary cutter

Old 01-21-2012, 09:20 AM

ok you have all warned me. I am going to the road to CA show today and will look for some safety tools for cutting. I don't want to cut myself with my rotary cutter. OUCH.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:29 AM
T.

Sorry you had the accident, Dawnfurlong. I hope you'll get better real soon.
Thanks BellaBoo for the links too. I will use the 40% coupon to get the those suction cups things at Joann's next chance I get to go there.

Originally Posted by DawnFurlong View Post
Thanks for the links BellaBoo. That Rule Steady looks really nice. Contemplating which safety device I want to employ. Really don't want to do this again.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:40 AM

Many years ago, I sliced the top of my pinky with a mandolin. Bled like crazy, but eventually stopped. My sister, the nurse, said that fingers are funny things and to expect it to hurt even after it healed. GOOD LUCK!!! You did all the right things to keep infection away.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:53 AM
Power Poster

I was given a mandolin as a gift. I was always leery of it even using the safety tool. I found I could buy most foods I used for it already sliced. I'd rather pay a few cents more then use the mandolin. It's an accident waiting to happen for me.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:58 AM

Oh my, yes, I did the exact same thing a few yrs. ago. My cut was so deep it hit a nerve & was numb for a long time. It also bled for 3 days even with pressure. I sure learned to be more careful when rotary cutting.

I watch Fons & Porter use that floppy glove for safety but I decided "what a pain" so I've learned to be a lot more careful. Sometimes lessons hurt. LOL
Old 01-21-2012, 10:14 AM

Hi, I did the same to my left index finger. Now I wear the Klutz glove from Fons and Porter when rotary cutting. I feel more confident and have never sliced a finger again.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:48 AM

I almost cut off the tip of my finger (not with a rotary cutter though). It took a while to get better and I have no feeling in the tip of that finger. I didn't go to the doctor - just pushed it back down and stuck a bandage on it. It bled enough to wash out any germs :-) Hope yours gets better quickly!!
Old 01-21-2012, 10:53 AM

There are gloves available that the rotary cutter won't go through. They are a little expensive. However, they are a lot cheaper than a visit to the ER if you slit your hand or arm with the rotary cutter. You cann usually purchase these where quilting supplies are sold and at one or two of the online sites.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:58 AM

I did that to my finger years ago but did not need stitches but I do have nerve damage on the finger. Hope your heals well and with do damage.
Carol in Delaware
I don't have UFO's I have PHD's and I will be so smart when I finish all my PHD's
Old 01-21-2012, 12:20 PM

Sorry to hear about your accident-something we all dread.
I may be late, but welcome to the Board. Hope your finger gets better soon.