Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
pfaff hobby 1200 grand quilter breaking thread problem >

pfaff hobby 1200 grand quilter breaking thread problem

pfaff hobby 1200 grand quilter breaking thread problem

Old 02-02-2012, 11:56 AM

Default pfaff hobby 1200 grand quilter breaking thread problem

Just got a Pfaff Hobby 1200 Grand Quilter and can't get the top thread to quit breaking. Sometimes it will go across the whole row free motion, another time 2 - 3 ". Keep adjusting the tension, but doesn't seem to make a difference. Tried different thread, rethreading, new needle... Any other suggestions???
Old 02-02-2012, 12:58 PM

I have the same machine and the same problem. I am told it is a tension thing. Also, how fast you are moving the machine to quilt. Also, make sure you have good thread. I guess it is just a matter of practice, practice, practice. I'd just like to get it right so I could practice. I get impatient, they I get mad, then I give up!!! Don't do that!!!! Good luck, I am going to watch this thread to see if I can learn something from it.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:00 PM

It's probably not a tension problem. You probably need to slow down.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:13 PM
Power Poster

I had a problem with mine once and it turned out that the tension knob was not properly "seated" on the machine. I somehow had managed to pull it out and it didn't properly go back into position. There is some "play" in the tension knob so you might try gently pulling it away from the machine and letting it go back into position. I hope you find a solution.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:23 PM

I have two of the same machine one sits on the "Next Generation" quilt frame & the other piece with. When I FMQ with the machine on my sewing table no issues, on the frame the thread breaks every few inches. I have tried changing the needle, different threads and adjusting the tension and pressure foot. Still the same frustrating situation! I reached out to the dealer thinking I would get rid of the frame and one of the machines but he won't take it back. What does that say! I have even visited Pfaff website nothing there at all. Personally I feel like I wasted my money on this purchase, lesson learned.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:47 PM

There is a yahoo group for this machine, there are plenty of hints and tips there. I also have the machine, when its good, its very good, when its bad ................. I walk away and leave it for a while.
Overall though it does quilt beautifully but likes good quality thread in top and bottom and lots of oil.

Good luck
Old 02-02-2012, 05:23 PM

We have had thread breakage with ours. I was ready to torch the thing, but eventually all the planets aligned and now we rarely have a problem. Here are some of the things I check:

1) We use Connecting Threads essentials top and bottom. We have also had good luck with Maxi-Lock 100% polyester thread. It is marketed for sergers, but works great for quilting. We have also used invisible thread in the bobbin.
2) The tension discs at the top of the machine can get the tiniest spec of lint or thread and throw off your tension. Loosen your tension and floss your tension assembly with dental floss or a pipe cleaner. You can also take the whole assembly apart, but make sure you pay attention to the parts so you know how to put it back together.
3) One of my problems was threading the needle the wrong way. You have to thread toward the machine.
4) You have to have a bit of space between the take-up rail and the bed of the machine. If you can slide your fingers between them and just feel them on the top and bottom of your fingers you have perfect space.
I think there may be a couple of other things to check. If I think of anything else I'll post again. Let us know if you solve your problems.

Darren
Old 02-02-2012, 05:46 PM

Besides all of the really good suggestions already posted, make sure bobbin area is clean, and check under the plate also. Lint can really bunch up in there and is hard to see. I've taken my feed dogs out as I only use this machine on a frame and it makes it easier to clean.
Sometimes we tension the quilt too much, you don't want to bounce a quarter on the quilt. Should be able to grab your finger on top if you poke it up under the quilt layers.
Also is the thread fraying? If fraying and breaking you probably need a larger eyes needle. I use Schmetz topstitch 16-18, or inspira topstitch needles (they are great).
Check to see that the thread isn't catching on something along the way, and that it's threaded properly. I use pre-wound bobbins with King Tut on top, and the odd time a poly on top with good luck. Have only had trouble with threads breaking on one quilt, tried everything I could think of, switched out the Sulky thread I was trying on top, and she ran like a charm.
Wishing you luck.
Laurie
Old 02-02-2012, 06:02 PM

I had trouble with breaking thread. Turned out to be the wrong needles. They need to be (HLX5) size. I order mine from Schemetz needles.com. Haven't had the problem since.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:34 PM

This will probably sound really stupid but be sure you are inserting the bobbin into the bobbin case in the right direction.
Don't ask me how I know this......................