Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Block help please? >
  • Block help please?

• Block help please?

Old 05-26-2013, 09:38 PM

Default Block help please?

I'm creating a quilt for my cousin's wedding this winter. She's very modern and pointed me toward several textures and patterns that she liked. One of them seemed easy enough to do when I really looked at it but I'm stumped as to how to piece it. There are just two blocks alternating and it only uses HST's. I understand the second block and think I can do it as tube quilting (maybe?). I'm not so sure on the other block. These will be 12" blocks once finished. Is there a way to make the first block easier/faster? They're triangles on a 2:1 ratio. The colors are only for differentiation. I think I'm going monochromatic with it. Thanks in advance!
    Attached Thumbnails block1.png   block2.png   overall-effect.png  
    Old 05-27-2013, 01:28 AM

No advice on the piecing, but I think if I went monochromatic, I'd be sure there was clear value distinction between the lights and darks, otherwise the considerable piecing involved would disappear. I'm not sure if I like those two blocks together, because I like secondary patterns which form from differing blocks when put together, and I'm not seeing them here. Or am I just missing it?
    Old 05-27-2013, 01:52 AM

The first one is flying geese. You can draw them on graph paper or if you have EQ you can draw them as a single block and print either templates or foundation patterns. The block is not hard to draw.
    Old 05-27-2013, 02:01 AM

Your cousin is very lucky! I'm a newbie to quilting but a life-long graphic designer. I have to agree that it would be a shame to do all that work and not be able to see and appreciate the distinctive pattern of the triangles. Any lover of all things modern would love this quilt!
    Old 05-27-2013, 03:11 AM

I love the combination of these two blocks. They create a lot of movement and I keep finding new shapes and designs the longer I look at it.

The first block can be done as flying geese. If I was making this, I would draw the diamond shape and paper piece it to insure accuracy in all of those points. You are right on the second block. It is HST set on point, which makes it look more difficult than it really is.

And I agree with the others -- choose your colors wisely. This will need fabrics with a LOT of contrast. Good Luck!!
    Old 05-27-2013, 03:35 AM

Do you know if there is a name for this particular layout of those two blocks?
    Old 05-27-2013, 04:19 AM

I think to piece the first block would be much easier paper piecing. It looks like one of the blocks in the Storm at Sea pattern and PP will give it those fine points.
    Old 05-27-2013, 04:19 AM
    Power Poster

I agree that the quilt pattern is very dynamic! Love it! I also agree that there's probably no easy way to piece the first block. i would go with paper piecing, but use a strip method. Print off all your foundation papers. Cut the main triangles and glue stick them into place. Then take a strip of fabric the appropriate width for the side triangles and lay the large triangles & papers along the whole strip and pin well, then just sew the entire strip. You will have to experiment a bit to get the proper spacing. Use a long stitch length till you get it figured out.
    Last Christmas I made a quilt will 16 stars with odd shaped points that had to be paper pieced. I used this method (which I thought I invented) and it went pretty quickly. Then I saw the book: "Quick-Strip Paper Piecing", so maybe I didn't invent it after all LOL.
    Old 05-27-2013, 05:03 AM
    Power Poster

Great design and have some great suggestions here. Good luck!!
    Old 05-27-2013, 05:23 AM

other than pping it i have no idea how to do it. but just wanted to say that it looks wonderful. I love the colors that you are going with. it works really well.