Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Block help please? >

Block help please?

Block help please?

Old 05-27-2013, 10:03 AM

Thanks for the help. The design actually came off a web background. I don't know if the blocks are named but the pattern is just two blocks alternating. I hadn't picked a clear color scheme yet. The bride loves purple and grey but her house is a mix of geometric patterns. I also happen be very partial to patterns that look like curves but aren't.

Last edited by trivia42; 05-27-2013 at 10:05 AM. Reason: typos
Old 05-27-2013, 11:39 AM

I made paper piecing patterns in EQ. They are for an 8 inch block (so that they all fit on one page) so you'll have to increase the size by 150%. Make sure you print a test page and check measurements. At the very least you can blow them up and use them as templates, being sure to add a seam allowance. Click Here To Download
Old 05-27-2013, 11:49 AM
QM
Power Poster

I would definitely PP it. For those quilty sisters who do NOT own EQ or QuiltPro (I much prefer the latter), this is the sort of situation that makes a drawing program highly desirable. One of my guild sisters uses Windows Paint for this sort of thing.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:59 AM

On that first block couldn't you sew your 2 strips together, then cut with a diamond template with the seam running through the center. All you would need then is to sew the diamonds together into rows and combine the rows to desired size, then trim to square. You would have lots of scraps for building another quilt.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:02 PM

I will be making this one. The more you look at it the more movement and dimension you see.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:10 PM

Thank you for the pping patterns! I don't have EQ or QuiltPro so I was going to have to draw in in Inkscape. I may make some mock up blocks using flying geese and the PP pattern to see which one goes faster. At a queen size, it's a lot of blocks! I also wondered if I could cut the block in half horizontally and do 2:1 hst's, creating more seams but maybe tube piecing it. I may try that method too in mock-ups. It will get a 3" border all around so I have something to bind into but I really don't want to lose the design as the focus. I love the movement of this design. Once I have the method down I may make one for myself!